1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro with Another Setback

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Took you two posts to say that?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You know how slow I am... :)

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Instead of saying "die" so you won't get annoying AP updates, why not be a little more positive and hope he gets better so you won't get those annoying AP updates.
    Oh, because that's probably the more difficult path.
    I, for one, am rooting for Barbaro to get better.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I personally hope he gets better, too. The overwrought Barbaro Nation stuff does get a bit old, IMO.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You've got loads of nerve speaking for all of us on that one. I'd take one Idaho for 50 of you.

And frankly, I believe they're putting this horse through pain just so they can use him for stud.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That'd be correct. Think the breeding rights have gone up at all since all this began?

7. Moderator1

Yeah, it did. And another to say this.

Wishing any kind of harm on an animal is nothing something I can understand. I suspect when it gets to the point, the vet will be able to say enough. He pretty much made that clear from the start. If Barbaro is in pain and it can't be fixed, then I hope that decision is made.
    But I sure as hell don't wish for that to happen.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'll go one further...

In a grander philosophical sense, why is this horse likely going to die?

For our own amusement.

You can dress it up all you want. You can have "trainers" and "jockeys", well-coiffed southern gentlemen sipping mint juleps alongside well-heeled debutantes and even give it names like "the sport of kings."

But at the end of the day, what is horse racing but animal exploitation for the sake of the gambling public?

And for almost a year, we've had such an outpouring of support for this defenseless animal, which is truly wonderful and heartwarming.

But has any thought been given to the machine that ultimately did this animal in?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There is no doubt the horse is in daily misery now.

10. Moderator1

If that's the case, I hope they do the right thing. A lot different than wishing for him to "die, fucking die."
    Hell, I hope somebody shoots ME if I'm in daily misery.
    If that's the case, I hope they do the right thing. A lot different than wishing for him to "die, fucking die."
    Hell, I hope somebody shoots ME if I'm in daily misery.

11. Moderator1

No, my suicide clause thing is no longer in effect, I've had the policy long enough.

Junkie, didn't someone write early on that breeding was out because he'd never be able to support himself on his hind legs? And you can't inseminate and race.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dude... explain that to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted