1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro put down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jan 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I saw my grandfather cry twice.

When my grandmother died, and when his horse died.

For whatever reason, people connect with horses.

I'm sad that Barbaro had to die, but not overly so. The feelings are tempered by the notion that he feels no more pain.

And if some of you are worked up about the coverage about Barbaro, I shudder to think how you felt during the Terri Schiavo situation.

PS -- Cut shotty some slack. I don't agree with him, but his point is that he can grieve an animal he had a personal connection with, but not a famous animal he never knew personally.

I don't agree, but if that's the way he feels, that's the way he feels.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I can understand that, but to make fun of people who are a little bummed, that's a bit much. Am I crying and sobbing? I'm not, but it's still kind of sad to see that happen to such a beautiful animal. I would say that it's sad to know anyone who loses a cat or a dog as well.
    It's sad to see any life leave this Earth. So I apologize for any overreaction.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I must say, I'm glad there's people who feel the way I feel in this thread.

When the original Barbaro thread was created on the day of the Preakness, there was such overwhelming grief and people upset about the event, it was absolutely mind-boggling to me. I was afraid to post in the thread that it was "just a freakin horse" for fear of getting absolutely shot down and vilified.

I'm sorry that Barbaro suffered, although I don't know to what degree he suffered aside from that first day. If the horse was in pain, I'm glad they were able to end it. But aside from that, I have zero emotional reaction to it. It's like getting upset when someone, who you've never met, has its dog die. Sad, absolutely. But only really should be truly sad to the owners. The outpouring of grief and non stop coverage, like others have said, really makes me question where our priorities lie.

And you want to see some people who have really gone off the deep end?
    http://www.vet.upenn.edu/barbaro/messageboard.php

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Before you say "It's just a horse," I think you need to have at least a passing knowledge of horses and horse country.

Out here in flyover land, a good horse is something close to sacred.

You know how people feel about a really good hunting dog? Multiply that by 10.

That's how people feel about horses. These aren't people who bet the ponies who are expressing sincere if over-the-top grief for Barbaro. These are people who have kept horses, lived around horses, trained horses, etc.

I know it can be hard for people who have lived in cities their entire lives to understand, and I'm not dissing anyone for thinking people are overreacting. Just trying to point out the reasons why the reaction is there.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Was the coverage of Barbaro extensive, especially for a horse? Sure.

Was it "breathless" or "non-stop?" Come on.

I, for one, took interest in it. I saw Go For Wand's awful injury and demise in the 1990 Breeder's Cup and wouldn't wish that on any animal. As pointed out earlier in this thread, doctors were taking measures with Barbaro that had rarely, if ever, been tried with other horses -- I think that aspect of it generated much of the coverage.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A lot that nag cares now.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder how many kids in the Sudan, Somolia or Appalachia, for that matter, could have been immunized for the money spent on the horse since last May.

8. Walter_Sobchak

Point taken, Zeke, but I've seen quite a bit of unnecessary sadness from those in the Northeast as well (even a couple people in my own office). Many of whom have never even rode on a horse, let alone owned one.

9. Walter_Sobchak

True, but is that really worthy of sports coverage? Seems more suited to a veterinary journal.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Of course, the initial event happened in a sporting event.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

What do you consider unnecessary sadness? Seems like a subjective thing doesn't it? What about people who cry when their teams win or lose? There are people out there who don't understand that and probably think it's unneccessary. There are people who don't understand when others cry over a dog, cat, turtle or hamster. They probably think that's unneccessary.
    I think it's fine that you don't care if the horse died. I can understand the apathy but to make fun of other people who care, that's bordering on heartless to me and very unnecessary.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is dumb even for you, hondo. False comparisons are not relevant.

How many could have been immunized with the money we've spent on a failed and pointless war in Iraq?

What's that you say? All of them?

Draft saved Draft deleted