1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro put down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Just heard this. Any confirmation?

2. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

Just hit the wires.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

BC-APNewsAlert/15
    BC-APNewsAlert

PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Barbaro was euthanized Monday morning, co-owner Roy Jackson said.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bummer.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

While Barbaro may be lost, let's hope that what the doctors learned over the last eight months may be able to help more horses down the road.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I was one of the many caught up in the Barbaro recovery phenomenon. Months after he shattered his ankle and leg, I was still rooting for him.

As of yesterday, he was still eating and in good spirits. I guess that could only take him so far because the injuries weren't healing.

Too bad.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

r.i.p., barbaro.

i'm not a horse-racing guy. those who are, could you please answer me this: did the owners/docs do right by this splendid animal by giving him every chance? or were they just being cruel and greedy to make him go through all this? ??? ??? ???

9. markvid

markvid Guest

No more suffering for him.
    Thank God.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

IMO, if they were greedy, they would have just cashed the insurance policy and euthanized him at Pimlico.

As I said, Barbaro was a pioneer in the medical field for horses. Very few medical pioneers lead long lives, yet they help future patients recover from devastating injuries.

Who knows? In 10 years, superstar horses may never be destroyed if they severely break a leg. If that's the case, then it's a credit to Barbaro and his owners.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

This past Kentucky Derby was the first I ever watched. A friend, a big fan, had a big party, complete with friendly wages, the singing of some song (I forget) and, yes, mint juleps. It was a great time and I remember thinking, "hey, horse racing is kind of cool."

After watching what happened to Barbaro, suffice it to say it will be the last horse race I watch. Sad, sad, sad.

But the owners, to their credit, seemed to do genuinely do everything they could for him.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's my question as well shockey.
    When I saw the most recent "setback" stories, my gut said they had reached the point where all the experimental treatments had become cruel and it was just time to let the animal rest in peace.

Draft saved Draft deleted