1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bar/tavern/club recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Clevelander was amazing back in the early '80s. I still go there when I'm in the neighborhood but it's become a little too much of a scene these days.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Go to the Ice Bar on International Drive. Never got a chance to go there when I was in Orlando a few years ago.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Suggestions from joints I have been in:

Mimico, Ont. - Blue Goose, say hi to JR and HC and maybe even a bum like me. The kind of great neighbourhood bar that barely exists up here anymore.

Toronto - Loose Moose (hosted the part of the Toronto outing that I was at), Irish Embassy, Horseshoe (one of Toronto's legendary music clubs)

Nashville - Tootsie's (although you really can't go wrong with any of the joints on Broadway)

Memphis: Blues City Cafe

Lauderdale: Parrot Lounge, Elbo Room

St. Pete Beach: Norm's Hideaway, Drunken Clam

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Great conversation bar. I've been there by myself many times, and each time struck up great discussions with either regulars or other visitors.
    I love the place.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're ever on the Cape, try the Squire in Chatham. Seafood's great, bar is the locals hangout.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, once I got really drunk with one of the guys at the bar and he started talking about being molested by his uncle.
    That one was a little weird, but most of the time it's been great.

7. JackReacher

Another vote for Tootsie's in Nashville.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I think McKenna and Lamprey went there on DME. I completely forgot they did an Orlando episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tootsie's is great if you enjoy having about 3 square inches in which to maneuver no matter where in the bar you happen to be. They should change the name to Sardines.

10. JackReacher

Yeah. Every time I've gone, I went a little early before it got packed.

11. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Yeah, we stayed for quite a while so we must have been enjoying ourselves. I think it was just us & the bartender for most of the night. To be fair, though, if I remember correctly it was a Sunday night.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it's the bald guy with the little beard - I think his name is Jim? - he's awesome.
    I love that guy.
    I was in town for a conference and staying down the block at the Marine Club several years ago. I wandered into the White Horse. I'd never been there before. It was pretty quite. Two people and that bartender were talking about music and movies. I jumped into the conversation after a couple drinks, and the four of us jabbered for four hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted