1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bar/tavern/club recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Oh, how I miss the Half Door. Plan B is great too.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you're in Lexington, there's a place called the Horse & Barrel. Great little Bourbon joint. Huge bar and, the night I was there, a really sassy bar keep who didn't fuck around with college kids wanting tequila shots.

Tell her what you like and she'll set you up. Very nice, quiet place across from the Sheraton downtown.

In Philly, Tir Na Nog on Arch Street is pretty awesome, too.

3. joe

joe Active Member

I've said it on other beer/bar threads: Booches in Columbia, MO. It's been there since 1884. Today, no pretense bar with enough beers and liquors to suit most any taste, great cheap burgers, snooker tables and no fucking jukebox. If it's busy, share a table with someone you don't know. From folks in business suits to dirty hippies, come one, come all.

And if any SJ member is coming to Columbia for a hoops game or a football game next year, hit me up and I'll get you a few frosties on me, a frosty being the cheapest on-tap beer they sell. Before game or after. Your choice.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

North of Kansas City in a small town called Weston is an underground - like three stories underground - Irish pub called OMalleys. Live Irish music often. Great environment. Not much of an everyday type of bar, but a cool place to hang once in a while.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rudy's in Hell's Kitchen.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. cranberry

The Subway Inn on 59th St. near Lexington.

[​IMG]

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Strict preservationists in NYC should still visit McSorley's and PJ Clarke's. Otto's Shrunken Head on 14th for the more anthropologically inclined. Schiller's on Rivington if you're downtown.

When in New Haven, the Anchor Bar. Be sure to get the meatloaf special. Not kidding.

8. cranberry

I highly recommend The Anchor, as well.

9. cranberry

The Black Duck Cafe in Westport is conveniently located off I-95 by the Saugatuck River....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Double Down Saloon in Vegas = great place

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm actually going to be cooling my heels at the Old Fashioned this weekend.

For Madison, I'll add: http://vintagebrewingcompany.com/ . Try the bacon wrapped meatloaf and pretty much any of the beers and thank me later (the burgers are also incredible. I suggest the pear and brie).

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The coolest place nobody's heard of in San Francisco = the White Horse on Sutter

Draft saved Draft deleted