1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bar Exam Pass Rates ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Feb 2, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As we continue to wrestle with whether or not Donald Trump cheats at golf, I thought we might explore bar exam pass rates. I understand the District of Columbia bar exam used to be an absolute ass-kicker. How does it compare to New Hampshire?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This means something...

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary failed the D.C. Bar!!

It's the only reason she agreed to move to Arkansas.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Michelle Obama failed the Illinois bar.

5. Dick Whitman

No word on if Rosalynn Carter ever took the bar.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Betty Ford was very good at the bar.

7. Dick Whitman

When I walked out, I was convinced I had failed it. Absolutely convinced of it. By the time the results came, though, I had been tipped off that I had likely passed it by the Character and Fitness Committee guy that I had to meet with.

Lesson: If you think you will be impatient to find out your bar exam results, exhibit an extended proclivity for alcohol abuse. It's a slow play, but worth it in the end.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Donald Trump has his hand on his daughter's knee under the bar. #StarmanNewsWireReport

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is this a real question? I heard the DC bar was easy, but most people working in DC take a state's exam and waive in. I believe DC allows people who passed any bar exam to work in DC.

Also, exam pass rates can be misleading. When I looked a while back, California was considered difficult based on its pass rate. However, the good schools did fine. It was a bunch of shitty and/or unaccredited schools that dragged down the passage rate.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You mean, like Yale?

11. Dick Whitman

As I understand it, she took the D.C. exam on a bit of a whim, right, without studying? There are sections that are identical across states, but every state also has its own peculiarities that get tested. It's honestly not easy and if you don't study, you will absolutely fail. Law school alone will not prepare you for it, I don't think. At least not my law school. Certainly not Yale. Hardly anyone even practices law who graduates from Yale. I know there are some lower-tier schools that are essentially bar prep factories.

franticscribe and YankeeFan like this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

1.2 million lawyers in this country, how hard can it be?

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted