1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baquet out at L.A. Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LazyReporter, Nov 7, 2006.

1. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

This is bad news for the L.A. Times staff as Baquet was fighting a crusade against staff cuts.
    That paper used to among the country's best, now it's a shell of it's former self. After this, it's on its way to competing with the Podunk Press.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-110706baquet,0,7757157.story?coll=la-home-headlines

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That sucks. But this is no surprise. Only that it took this long, but probably waiting to get through the election.

3. deportes

deportes Member

i told you guys. i heard it the day the new guy took over and posted the info on this board.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Curious that this happened on election day, when it might not get as much attention.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Kind of like Brit dumpin' Yo'Kev. Hmmmmm..

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Expected, I guess, but ???

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Stand up for something you believe in and they'll whack you.

I guess Baquet and Bush have something in common.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I absolutely love the Times, and the news out of there gets more depressing by the day.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Read the WaPo story on this and staffers were quoted on condition of anonymity because they feared for their jobs. Totally understand that. But, I always think it's interesting/ironic/sucks when a media outlet has its employees scared shitless to the point that free speech is prevented.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Happens all the time; media outlets dont hold themselves to the same threshold as the people they cover.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Agreed. But it still sucks.

Your photo icon vs. my photo icon = mediocrity squared.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Broad and Burkle put in a bid for the entire company.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-110806tribune,0,1346195.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Draft saved Draft deleted