1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning Bottled Water Sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Universities choose not to sell all kinds of legal products on their campuses. Why the drumbeat of "LIBERALS VS. CONSERVATIVES!" here. Where's the furor over schools that choose not to sell Pepsi products?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

BP you've been around here for a while, you should know by now that every issue has a liberal and Conservative side.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I understand your point. 1) The liberal vs. conservative stuff is nonsense. At least in so much as there is nothing liberal about banning something, so the attempt to label it a liberal conspiracy seems odd to me. 2) They certainly have the right to sell whatever they want in their vending machines and anywhere else on their campus. That has never been at issue.

But to act as if that is what is simply going on, as a few people have done, ignores the facts. They decided to ban a product they were already selling, and put out a press release saying they put the ban in place to make a convoluted social statement of some sort. Usually when a school chooses not to sell Pepsi products, it is because they got a more lucrative deal from Coke. Of course, that isn't what is going on here. They banned the product to enforce some strange political or environmental notion about bottled water being a bad thing. And frankly, that press release couldn't even articulate why it is bad in a way that made any sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted