1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning Bottled Water Sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, none of the "bans" on Birth Control actually banned it

I agree. So what?

So what? Is that how the decision should be made?

Should a simple majority be able to get the sale of any product banned on campus?

Look, on one hand, I would say that Loyola should have the right to ban any product. And, they should be able to apply their moral standards to the decision.

But, I doubt the liberal students who want to ban bottled water sales would look at it the same way, if the same logic was applied to other products.

And, I think it's hypocritical of the liberal students, who normally object to people trying to legislate morality.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I just think the president should have the courage to say how he feels about this. To whom might I express my concern?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where's the outrage that I can't get a bottle of Coke on campus?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think that applies only to Perrier, and only in Ohio.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's all try to recall this moment the next time anyone uses the phrase "markeplace of ideas."

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The marketplace of ideas has rejected Evian.

Viva la Welch's Grape Juice!

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good for them. Institutions like higher education is where movements like this should start.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, there's Wall Street.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of mom-and-pop stores near campus who are jubilant about this, I bet

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why would you presume that students who want to ban bottled water sales are "liberal" Were they wearing signs?

Banning the sale of bottled water isn't new. Bottled water is one of most environmentally unfriendly products around. And universities should be a little more progressive than other institutions and should be setting an example.

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm just not sure this is out of step with some Bible-based environmental stewardship arguments (and those do exist). Which seem to have their place in a Catholic university (again, I think the end result of this is kinda dumb, but there are several ways to come at an argument for something like this that aren't standard neo-liberal-pagan-hippy sophomore liberal arts dreck).

My point is. Given the specific nature of this university, and Catholicism's history of all kinds of social advocacy, I'm not sure these particular students would be stridently opposed to legislating morality. This is also a broad generalization of another kind about a student community I'm not particularly familiar with, admittedly.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And there's already precedence at many universities, which have exclusive contracts with drink manufacturers at games.

Good luck trying to bring a Coke into a basketball arena with exclusive rights to sell Pepsi, and vice-versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted