1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning Bottled Water Sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 7, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Loyola University in Chicago is going to ban the sale of bottled water on campus:

Personally, I almost never buy bottled water. It's expensive, and not worth it in my opinion. It is also very "un-green".

Still don't think I'd support a ban of it.

Also, don't college kids have something more important to organize and protest against?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No need to "ban" anything but who would expect a school to try educating students and faculty about the issue?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. Not unless the Student Senate President and the newspaper's editor-in-chief are locked in a battle to the death.

4. YankeeFan

How do you do it?

If they want to host a panel discussion, that gives both sides an opportunity to speak, that's fine with me.

But, I don't see how it's really in the school's "mission" to spend time on this issue -- at least not in a class room.

And, there are hundreds of "issues" like this. How does the school go about choosing which ones to "educate" their students on?

What it is, is liberal students trying to "legislate" their "morals" and imposing them on the rest of the student body.

I mean, come on. if you don't like bottled water, don't buy it. Why the need to ban it?

Lastly, seems like a pretty "active" campus. They were also up in arms when their food service provider changed their coffee from the local roaster to Starbucks:

http://www.loyolaphoenix.com/debate-continues-over-metropolis-return-loyolas-food-provider-meets-with-local-coffee-shop-to-explain-switch

This move also did not meet their "Jesuit tradition".

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's a simple campaign for the environmental club: Much better to use some kind of filtering device (if you feel it's necessary) and/or carry a re-usable water bottle.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Calling it a ban is probably a bit wrong. They aren't banning it on campus. They are just not going to sell it there.

Also, bottled water is pretty much just tap water.

7. YankeeFan

I agree.

To me, what's hypocritical is the whole "legislating morality" thing.

Trying to get birth control pills removed from the health clinic is a "simple campaign" for the Opus Dei chapter.

"Get your hands off me my bottled water, you damn dirty ape!"

8. YankeeFan

OK, true. But, it's a legal product that has traditionally been sold on campus.

Why should the morals of the students who don't want bottled water to be sold on campus trump those who want it available?

What else shouldn't be allowed to be sold on campus?

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It seems to me that they're perfectly within their rights to decide they don't want to sell bottled water on campus. They're not forbidding anyone to have bottled water.

Personally, unless you live in an area with water problems, buying bottled water is stupid in almost every way IMO. In Toronto, our tap water is purer than many bottled waters but I still see people walking out of the grocery store carrying large flats of a product they can get for free.

Absolute marketing genius ... convincing to buy free stuff.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because a majority of students voted that way in a referendum?

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It's Loyola. A Jesuit Catholic school legislating morality on campus seems about standard.

I think it's dumb, but of all the things that are dumb about it, using a moral argument to justify it doesn't strike me as one of them.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is banning bottled water any dumber than paying $3.50 for bottled water than is often just tap water?

Draft saved Draft deleted