1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banner headline: "Let is snow, let is snow, let is snow"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 27, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/12/27/how-the-heck-did-this-happen-brattleboro-reformer/?fb_comment_id=fbc_389341034486532_2367375_389354987818470#f3f245492165d5

The Brattleboro (Vt.) Reformer had a doozy of a typo -- three typos actually -- on its top headline. “Yes, that’s what happens when the night desk is rushing to complete the paper on early deadline ahead of the storm. A huge apology from the editor this morning," the executive editor says.

I'm sorry, I know how overworked news desks are, but you have to have a higher standard than to just say, Eh, we're busy, whattya gonna do.

On a side note, we may have found out where dog eat dog world works.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Those typefaces could use a little freshening. Looks like a front page from the '50s.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, they got six of the nine words right. Cut 'em some slack.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If it said, "Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow," or something to that effect, I would say blaming it on an understaffed copy desk and early deadlines would be reasonable. This mistake is a sign of incompetence.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I used to be ASE in Brattleboro. I love that town and the schools I covered (especially Bellows Falls).

If you ever see an ad for a sports opening, jump on it. Wonderful little piece of the world.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Who needs copy editors? We don't need no stinkin' copy editors!

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah -- how exactly do you do that, anyway? Did you make the same typo three times, or do you do it once and then cut and paste it twice?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless "let" is a foreign word that means snow and the guy doing the page is Borat.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're using copy-and-paste for 11 characters, you're not even saving yourself time.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

Brattleboro is the home of the late Ernie Johnson Sr. former Milwaukee Braves player and Atlanta Braves announcer.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe they were going for the old Hebrew transliteration.

Draft saved Draft deleted