1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banned words and phrases

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It would be great if all the people who can name trite phrases and words stopped using them.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is that Self-loathing Wonka?

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Amen.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't usually third things, but this is a good time to make an exception.

I'll add that runs (and runners) are scored, not plated. Triple is a baseball term, and should never be used to describe a three-point shot.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Banned words and phrasesgate. Ha!

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Chortle.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I hate, hate, hate "twirled a mound gem."

Unless a pitcher is standing out there swinging a diamond baton, don't ever write that he twirled a mound gem.

I also dislike "trey" for 3-pointer.

8. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

I've got a hockey freelancer who insists on calling goals "markers" and assists "helpers." On the other hand, that's the only problem I have with him so, play on.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Previous sports editor banned "not to mention." If it doesn't need to be mentioned, don't mention it.
    I agree with this one.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Onion bag. Had one older reporter fond of using of it. I told him no one under 40 knew what the hell it meant.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Currently -- thanks for the warning, but you've been using present tense, so I have to assume it's current based on that

The fact that -- thanks for highlighting that some part of something you wrote isn't total bullplop

Like -- usually only appropriate when writing about Facebook likes. Except don't write about Facebook likes. I hate you.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Like" is a fine word. It doesn't mean "such as," but that shouldn't prevent people from using it.

Draft saved Draft deleted