1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I appreciate the well-wishes. And for those who find humor or otherwise ... sigh. What can a brother do?

rb

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just ignore it the best you can, rb.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My wife has been practically begging me to file. But it costs so much, and they don't take payments.

I really don't think we're that bad off. Our problem is everybody wants their damn money now, and nobody is willing to allow us to make reasonable payments.

And ours is not credit cards -- it is almost all medical.

We've prayed. We've sought credit counseling. Nothing works.

I'll tell you, it's depressing as hell. It's even more depressing when an attorney tells you that you need at least $650 up front to begin the process. If I had $650 in my hands I could beg off the collection calls for another couple of months.

4. HandsomeHarley

Hell, if Obama was serious about giving stimulus payments, he should allow every family to submit up to $10,000 of debt to be "written off" where the government would then make the payments.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been told by people in a doctor's office that as long as you pay $5/month they can't touch you, because you're showing a willingness to pay. That's not the exact terminology, but it's something along those lines.

6. HandsomeHarley

But that won't stop the calls. One collection agency insists on $75 every two weeks, minimum, which was almost doable until my car broke down.

The other agency wants $150 every two weeks.

The hospitals have actually been the best about it, but eventually they send their stuff to collection agencies and it starts all over again.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pay the $5 a month and get caller ID?

8. HandsomeHarley

I just don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number.

Bastards called me at the office a few weeks ago.

9. Have you searched around to different bankruptcy attorneys? One of my best friends works for one and they give people up to two years to pay in full.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This site my be of interest to some. It's a debt solution service for those trying to stay out of bankruptcy.

http://www.allegrolaw.net/index.jsp

This is not a "debt elimination" service. Those are virtually always scams.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, because too many people have enormous debt not because of medical bills or unemployment but because they bought a bigger house or car than they could afford and maxed out their credit cards for flat-screen TVs. In other words, living beyond their means.

People shouldn't get to "write off" their own idiocy (and neither should corporations, but that's another story.)

Medical bills or unforeseen catastrophes, etc., I have full sympathy for. But too many people would use that type of "stimulus" just to perpetuate their own greed.

12. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

This is what I don't understand. Nothing against anyone who files bankruptcy, but how in the heck do you loan someone a big pile of money just a couple of years after they file? Do these companies never learn?

Draft saved Draft deleted