1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Well, the wife and I just began the Chapter 7 process with an attorney. Sigh.

Anyone else in my boat?

RB

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Good luck, RB.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

The fact that Rockbottom has started a bankruptcy thread is thoroughly depressing. I wish I had advice, but I hope everything works out.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ouch. I don't like reading this.

About the best advice I can give you, Rock, is to find a good attorney -- which I trust you did. Make sure he takes you step-by-brutal-step through the entire process and leaves no stone unturned in your mind as to what's happening.

It's a tough enough process without you feeling blindsided.

Good, good luck.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'm (thankfully) not sharing that boat, RB, so I have no useful advice. You do have all the positive thoughts and best wishes I can send, though, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck, sir.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A girlfriend of mine went through this a few years back because she couldn't keep up with her medical bills after the company she worked for closed up shop.

I remember her being concerned she wouldn't be able to afford an attorney to get her through the bankruptcy at one point.

Good luck, RB.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought about declaring bankruptcy on a loan I never should have gotten a few years ago, but I worked out a deal with the bank where I payed them 950 bucks in a settlement.

The loan was supposed to be a student loan by the bank, but they reneged on it and said I had to pay it back asap.

Luckily I had paid about 500 on it in interest, thus leading them to make a deal with me.

Good luck, rb.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Chapter 7 looks to be a very real possibility for me as well. Good luck to you, RB. I think we'll both be going through this crap very soon.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I'm not in that boat (yet). Having said that, here's a link you may want to read: click.

Have you considered Chapter 11 instead of Chapter 7?

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

11 ... 7 ... only good at the craps table

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

11 is for businesses, as I understand it. We considered 13, but our attorney advised us to 7.

RB

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've gotten close, but I haven't endured the burden of bankruptcy yet. With student loans starting to come in, I have both my fingers crossed. Good luck and best wishes, RB.

Draft saved Draft deleted