1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Well, the wife and I just began the Chapter 7 process with an attorney. Sigh.

Anyone else in my boat?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Good luck, RB.
  3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

The fact that Rockbottom has started a bankruptcy thread is thoroughly depressing. I wish I had advice, but I hope everything works out.
  4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ouch. I don't like reading this.

About the best advice I can give you, Rock, is to find a good attorney -- which I trust you did. Make sure he takes you step-by-brutal-step through the entire process and leaves no stone unturned in your mind as to what's happening.

It's a tough enough process without you feeling blindsided.

Good, good luck.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

I'm (thankfully) not sharing that boat, RB, so I have no useful advice. You do have all the positive thoughts and best wishes I can send, though, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck, sir.
  6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A girlfriend of mine went through this a few years back because she couldn't keep up with her medical bills after the company she worked for closed up shop.

I remember her being concerned she wouldn't be able to afford an attorney to get her through the bankruptcy at one point.

Good luck, RB.
  7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought about declaring bankruptcy on a loan I never should have gotten a few years ago, but I worked out a deal with the bank where I payed them 950 bucks in a settlement.

The loan was supposed to be a student loan by the bank, but they reneged on it and said I had to pay it back asap.

Luckily I had paid about 500 on it in interest, thus leading them to make a deal with me.

Good luck, rb.
  8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Chapter 7 looks to be a very real possibility for me as well. Good luck to you, RB. I think we'll both be going through this crap very soon.
  9. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Fortunately, I'm not in that boat (yet). Having said that, here's a link you may want to read: click.

Have you considered Chapter 11 instead of Chapter 7?
  10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

11 ... 7 ... only good at the craps table
  11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

11 is for businesses, as I understand it. We considered 13, but our attorney advised us to 7.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've gotten close, but I haven't endured the burden of bankruptcy yet. With student loans starting to come in, I have both my fingers crossed. Good luck and best wishes, RB.
Draft saved Draft deleted