1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bankruptcy for Rick Mahorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 17, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This saddens me. I dealt with Mahorn some when he was in college and when he was the Wizards. Seemed like a good guy - if he didn't remember me from our previous dealings, he at least acted like he did.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/04/this_bad_boy_is_broke_former_d.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doesn't sadden me. He should have paid his taxes. Mahorn had it made and pissed his money away. Insert name of hundreds of former athletes and you have the same story.

I'm wondering if he lied about the ring>

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I am surprised he only earned $7 million in the NBA, and yes, I realize only should be in quotation marks. But that's not much compared to what players, even scrubs, would make in a 10-year career today. I thought I saw him on NBA TV last night as a studio commentator for the WNBA.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This has been out for some time now (well around here anyway).

He was the coach of the WNBA Detroit Shock after Laimbeer stepped down, but obviously lost that gig when they moved to Tulsa.

5. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Mark price thinks this is funny.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He's with you all the way.

[​IMG]

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice pull. Irwin R. Shyster (aka Mike Rotunda) lived near one of my old newspaper offices. Ran a used car lot, one of those buy-here/pay-here joints where you could actually picture him like the photo, collecting from stiffs at the end of every month. But he was very friendly and was always happy to talk wrestling.

Draft saved Draft deleted