1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bank teller fired after chasing down robber

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20090802/US.ODD.Robbery.Teller/

Was he stupid or heroic?
    I probably wouldn't have done it, but then again, maybe I'm a pussy.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ziskie rates Smallpotatoes: "He's a pussy!"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't blame them for firing the guy. You don't demand that the guy show a weapon. You are putting other people at risk.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stupid - I'd fire him for stupidity.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Heroic, but stupid. I understand why law enforcement officials are downplaying the guy catching the would-be thief, because they know that this time, the teller got lucky.

He could have been wrong about the guy's lack of a gun. He could have been killed. He could have gotten others killed.

But . . . he wasn't. He needs to capitalize on this "hero" status now, while he can.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Stupid.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He should have no trouble being hired by another bank. It would be a PR coup.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Bank tellers have a process they are required to follow. They are told that if they do not follow it in the event of a robbery, they are subject to repercussions. A teller I know was in a robbery late last year. She handed over the money without the dyepack at the request of the robber. He got away and to my knowledge hasn't been caught. She got a $250 reward out of it for doing her job well.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

When I was 17 I worked in a video arcade (cause I was that cool). The place had a model T that the boss would park out front with magnetic signs on it. One afternoon, I looked out the window and saw a kid (15, 16) take the sign off the car. I ran out and took off after him. I took about two blocks but I caught him and made him return the sign. The boss told me not to do it again because the sign wasn't worth it. Acouple of weeks later, I got a raise :)

Today, I would never chase after anyone in a similar situation. Not only do I not know if they have a weapon, but 17 year old me weighed 160...45 year old me weighs 280.

If I don't catch him at the car, I don't catch him.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not a well-designed crime prevention technique.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Her boss kept a Sauron's eye on her

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have no problem with the teller being fired. Here's why: Say the bank lauds him as a hero. Maybe gives him a reward. Maybe looks on him more favorably for a promotion. Now, the next time the bank gets robbed, it's a different teller, who now has to think about how she is going to look to the bosses if she doesn't take off after the robber.

The policy exists for a reason. It's to keep the teller, and other innocent bystanders, from getting hurt. It's not worth someone's life to reclaim a few thousand dollars that's more than likely going to be recovered anyway. Hand the money over, push the silent alarm, lock the doors and let the cops do their job.

Draft saved Draft deleted