1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bank CEO thinks journalist salaries are 'outrageous'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is JP Morgan Chase a publicly traded company?

If so, in what way is his compensation package private?

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I understand that and wrote as much. He was defending his folks by countering with statistics from another industry.

Then saying this ...
    [quote author=Bloomberg News]“Worse than that, you don’t even make any money!” Dimon said, directing his comments to those in the media covering the company’s investor day and drawing laughter from his audience. “We pay 35 percent. We make a lot of money.” JPMorgan posted $19 billion in profit last year.[/quote]
    ... was a pretty big mistake.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Please tell me you know who Jamie Dimon is. He's been one of the nation's best known, and most respected bankers for over 20 years -- since he was in his early 30's.

He was Sandy Weill's protege, and number two, and helped build the current Citigroup, before having a falling out with Weill in 1998.

Then he became CEO at Bank One. He's been CEO at JPMorgan Chase since 2004, when they acquired Bank One.

A large part of what made the Bank One acquisition attractive is that they got Dimon as part of the deal.

If you follow the business world even in passing, you should know who this guy is. His name has been in the WSJ, the New York Times, and your local paper's business section for a couple of decades.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-21/jpmorgan-to-pay-153-6-million-to-settle-sec-allegations-over-housing-cdos.html

www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/jpmorgan-chase-to-pay-36-million-fines-risky-investments_n_1095157.html

www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h2T9j2YWLDqLovl3bo2PZGl-1bKQ?docId=CNG.2c9a5880ea1cf072080ef3cacbb44f05.4b1

www.californiasecuritiesfraudlawyerblog.com/2011/11/jp-morgan-chase-fined-17-milli.html

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by "private," so I can't really answer your question.

But I'm sure he'd say that like any company, publicly-traded or privately owned, the salaries of employees should be a matter worked out between the owners of the company and their employees. Not something regulated by populist opinion and government officials.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"anyone else's business."

7. YankeeFan

Does any of that contradict anything I said?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plenty of bad things seem to have happened on his watch. Should he not be held to account for them by the press?

9. The Big Ragu

Just because a company is publicly traded doesn't somehow give a claim to anyone who decides the people working for the company are overpaid or that their compensation levels are unfair.

If you work for Gannett, for example, your salary is none of my business, even if I want to stick my nose into the matter. The fact that Gannett is publicly-traded has no bearing on that fact.

10. YankeeFan

That's fine, though I might quibble with how "bad" some of the things that happened on his watch were.

But, Point of Order seemed to be unfamiliar with who the man was. He's not some obscure banker. He's one of the nation's most prominent and famous CEO's, and has been one of the most famous banking industry executives for some 25 years.

I would assume an intellectually curious (former) journalist, and regular newspaper reader, would know who he is.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Except shareholders.

That being the case, it's not much of a public relations strategy for Jamie Dimon. Maybe he should hand out dimes to children on his walk to work instead.

12. The Big Ragu

Az,

1) I doubt too many JP Morgan shareholders are complaining. The stock has performed pretty well, at least for the last 12 months, and compensation policy at banks, at least now, is that bonuses are tied to profits. Plus, you saw in a room full of investors what kind of reaction his comments got. Not the outrage you get on a board filled with journalists. It got laughter.

2) I posted to try to give perspective about where Dimon is coming from. I feel I have something to offer, because I have done work for one of his competitors with regard to their compensation policy. I see just how much scrutiny they incur and how many hoops regulators (not just the U.S., but in every country they do business in) make them jump through. I have seen first hand just how sensitive the topic is for them, and I have seen just how unfairly demonized they feel.

I never posted that newspapers (or Occupy protestors, or whoever) shouldn't have the right to turn bank salaries into whatever populist rhetoric they want. I was posting about how Dimon likely feels about it. By the same token, from where he sits, if bonuses his company pays are fair fodder and he is getting handed newspaper clips every day demonizing his company over the issue, why shouldn't it then be fair game for him to say, "You know what all you reporters taking shots at us. Let's turn the microscope on you and look at your salaries relative to the profits your work generates? At least we earn our money."

From a PR perspective? Yeah, it got laughter from a room full of his investors, but as I said in multiple posts, it is a game he isn't going to win. Like it or not, banks are generally seen as evil and plutocratic and a cause of everyone's misery. The usual response to something like this is, "We bailed them out!" which was why I posted pointing out that JP Morgan didn't need a bailout, it was forced to take it. So he loses either way. If he stays silent, he gets ripped every time bonus season comes around. When he takes a shot back -- at newspapers, which he believes have treated the issue unfairly -- at least on a board like this (because I don't think the comments were otherwise widely noticed), it's a guy earning millions taking a shot at the poorly paid newspaper reporters and he's a douchebag.

Draft saved Draft deleted