1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bank CEO thinks journalist salaries are 'outrageous'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 29, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was the wrong way for Dimon to go about this, but his dig at newspaper reporters was targeted and deliberate.

For months, during the "Occupy" movement earlier this year, and for the last few years really, his perception was that newspapers were portraying banks as immoral plutocrats (we can argue about whether that is fair assessment or not, but that is what he gets a heaping spoonful of every morning).

Dimon (and Lloyd Blankfein and the rest of them) have largely stayed silent. It was a PR war they didn't want to get mixed up in, because they didn't believe they would get fair play from the media if they tried to "sell their side." Bank bashing has become sport in this country, and newspapers do engage in it.

This was his attempt at a little payback.

I think he should just stay silent, because he is in a no win situation. When he stays quiet, his industry gets pilloried as greedy, overpaid and immoral, and newspapers largely play that story. Now he takes a little shot back at them -- knowing Dimon, I'd guess he is probably right in his financial assessment -- and people jump on him for being out of touch with how little journalists earn and they are all outraged by a guy earning millions saying it.

He's really not out of touch. He knew exactly what he was saying. He just wanted get a dig in at the people he perceives as unfairly taking shots at him all the time. And he did it with a line about how pay levels in his industry more correspond with profitability.

To me, this is a game he can't win, so why do that?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tom Joad, 2012

I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be ever'-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight to deregulate trading, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there pointing out another guy who needs beatin'. I'll be in the way guys yell when we take bailout money - I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know their mother called Nobu and made a reservation. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff I commoditized, and livin' in the houses I bundled as unsecured derivatives - I'll be there, too

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Steal a little, and they put you in jail. Steal a lot, and they make you CEO of a bank.

4. The Big Ragu

Generally pretty true.

But in the case of Jamie Dimon. ... The usual line against is that in 2008, "the banks were bailed out."

What a lot of people don't realize is that JP Morgan didn't need any bailout, and actually would have probably most benefited by several of its competitors going under (Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, etc.), which is what should have happened.

Except, then Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, who was acting with dictatorial authority, called the heads of all of the largest banks to a meeting at the Federal Reserve and ordered them to take the government TARP money, whether they needed it or wanted it.

Paulson's reasoning was that if a few of the banks got government support, but others didn't, it would signal to everyone which banks were in trouble and put even more pressure on the weak banks, which would bring about a collapse. So Dimon, pretty much under threat from the Treasury Department, the Federal Reserve and the FDIC, which were all in the room, was ordered to take TARP money and sit quietly while several of his competitors--which he surely would have liked see go bankrupt--were saved. JP Morgan quietly paid the money back first chance it was allowed to.

Not that that makes Jamie Dimon a great guy. But as far as CEOs of investment banks go, he is a straight shooter when it comes to his business. Warren Buffett has said many times that Dimon writes the most honest annual report letter in the country; Buffett also has intimated that JP Morgan is the best run bank in the country, even though Berkshire Hathaway has its eggs in the Bank of America basket. Buffett let out this week that he personally owns shares of JP Morgan.

None of that has much to do with Dimon's comments. But I do believe what I posted earlier. He was trying to take a shot at newspapers, which I am sure he believes haven't treated his company and industry fairly.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well-explored.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If he is the best of the big bank CEOs then that industry is truly more decrepit than even I would have imagined. And that statement is not based on his quote here or anything to do with the bailouts.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I get his overall point: Why question how much bankers are getting paid when its a smaller proportion of his company's expenses than another information-based industry? Well, that's giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm willing to do that.

However, his incredulity to the fact that newspapers don't make money is more telling. Businesses should make things. JPMorgan Chase & Co. should make investment opportunities, loans and financial products for customers. News organizations should provide factual information. Widget-makers should make widgets. Just "making money" is missing the point. I know it's too much to ask Jamie Dimon to judge his company on the quality of its work instead of its top line, bottom line and all those crazy lines in between (really, with investors, et al., it is), but he can't apply those standards to another industry and call it apples to apples.

That, to me, is why his statements make him look out of touch.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Another information-based industry." I don't know that you can make direct parallels between the two. What industry isn't somewhat information-based? Certainly telecoms. Investment? Real estate? All "information-based." He needed a comparison and went for a loose, convenient one.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yep, like I said, gave him the benefit of the doubt. I was forgiving him that because his overall assertion of "making money" as the standard of a profession is what I find truly insulting.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Loansharking is information-based.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A guy sells a toothbrush for a dollar. He gets a dollar, the customer gets a toothbrush. A thing for a thing. Tangible. Not information-based. The quality of the product is primarily dependent on its physical attributes and functionality.

He then spends a quarter on The Podunk Press. Sure, he gets some birdcage liner or something to wipe windows with, but he really spends the quarter to know whats going on. Reporters research and interview to compile facts and context on current events. Not tangible. Information-based. The quality of the product is primarily dependent on the effort, knowledge and trustworthiness of the people who make it.

He takes the other 75 cents and trusts someone to invest it or puts it in a bank to collect interest. He can get a return from the investment or his money gets connected to someone who needs to borrow because companies like JPMorgan have the information handy to do this. Not tangible. Information-based. The quality of the product is primarily dependent on the effort, knowledge and trustworthiness of the people who make it.

He then buys a tangible dinner at Applebee's, drives home in his tangible Geo and takes a dump in his tangible toilet.

That's what I meant.

12. The Big Ragu

jlee, You have to put yourself in Jamie Dimon's shoes, to understand this. For the last few years, the salaries of his people has become a matter of national debate -- and a matter of public policy and regulation. Since 2008, they have dealt with a headache from regulators worldwide over their compensation, and he has watched things like the Occupy movement build around an agenda that has demonized his industry as the cause of everyone else's problems.

He doesn't understand why his people's compensation is anyone else's business. A lot of the focus on bank employee salaries has been due to a type of populism that has demonized his industry as a greedy, evil, and "unfairly" overpaid. And he believes that demonization has largely been played out in newspapers.

You giving him "the benefit of the doubt," misses the point. There is nothing out of touch about Jamie Dimon. His point really had nothing to do with the relative profit margins of banks versus newspapers. It had everything to do with him giving a speech, knowing the room would be filled with reporters whom he believes have taken a lot of unfair shots at his industry, and him thinking the time was right to fire a shot back at them.

What he was saying was, "What we get compensated should not be anyone else's business. But since you keep making it a matter of national debate, I am going to turn the microscope on you and see how you like it."

The problem with him doing that, of course, is that he should know he can't win that game. When he stays silent, bankers largely get portrayed as greedy, overpaid plutocrats trying to screw everyone else. When he fires back in the way way he did, it's a guy who earns millions "being out of touch," and taking a shot at a bunch of poor, lowly-paid reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted