1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bangladesh factory bosses: Never mind those cracks, get to work!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna make all my clothes on my 3D printer.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bumping this: 13 people, including the two factory owners charged with negligence over 111 people killed in the 2012 fire that happened right before the other factory collapsed:

http://news.yahoo.com/bangladesh-police-charge-13-over-deadliest-garment-factory-070524052.html

It's significant because it's believed to be the first time in Bangladesh that factory owners are being criminally charged for a fire at one of the country's factories. A conviction, of course, is another matter. But at least, Bangladesh is finally joining the 10s. The 1910s.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do you think of this Baron:

4. YankeeFan

Labor and State Department officials have encouraged retailers to participate in strengthening rules on factory conditions in Bangladesh — home to one of the largest and most dangerous garment industries. But defense officials this month helped kill a legislative measure that would have required military stores, which last year made more than $485 million in profit, to comply with such rules because they said the $500,000 annual cost was too expensive.

Federal spending on garments overseas does not reach that of Walmart, the world’s biggest merchandiser, which spends more than $1 billion a year just in Bangladesh, or Zara, the Spanish apparel seller, but it still is in a top tier that includes H & M, the trendy fashion business based in Sweden, Eddie Bauer and Lands’ End, sellers of outerwear and other clothing.

5. YankeeFan

Like dozens of other factories in the area, V & R makes clothes for the American government, which is constantly prowling for the best deals. In interviews, workers at a half-dozen of these suppliers described the effect of such cost pressures.

At Manta Apparels, for example, which makes uniforms for the General Services Administration, employees said beatings are common and fire exits are kept chained except when auditors visit.
    The local press has described Manta as one of the most repressive factories in the country. A top labor advocate, Aminul Islam, was organizing there in 2010 when he was first arrested by the police and tortured. In April 2012, he was found dead, a hole drilled below his right knee and his ankles crushed.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fine. Let's pull the contracts and have them buy the uniforms in the U.S. Of course, that means that it'll cost a lot more than $1.5 billion, but I'm sure the GOP will have no problem with spending the extra money, right?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, the Liberal Trash was running things. Who cares what the GOP thinks?

Change...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.