1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BANG you're dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18740021

Scroll down to the part where 120 jobs out of 1,500 are being cut.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The gang that can't shoot straight ... or, hell, can't even shoot.

Just another way to try to free up more money to buy Freedom on the backs of journalists and the thrashing of once-proud publications.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is a sad day. There are a lot of proud papers up there that are being consolidated. From what I'm reading from a couple of guys I went to college with who now work up there, this is the final death nail of the old ANG papers. Sounds like the prep sports coverage is going away. There's a line in the story about expanded pro and college coverage. There are a lot of good schools up there, particularly De La Salle that has received national attention. It could be that those who do prep sports will see the ax, on top of those whose positions are getting consolidated.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unless you go to a LA Times-like model where most of your preps is on the web, how do you not cover high school sports?

Notice no word, either, on San Jose, Santa Cruz and Monterey.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

San Jose is being left alone, just the San Mateo County Times is getting folded under the umbrella of the Merc. I hope the Sentinel and the Herald are going to be left alone in this mess.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Every time this happens, it makes me feel like what we do has no value at all.

It's difficult to stomach.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And yet, it keeps happening, year after year, quarter after quarter.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. The one thing that might save Monterey is that they face competition from the Salinas Californian ... well, as much competiton as there can be between two papers stripped bare by Gannett and Deano. As for Santa Cruz, well, you want to say they've carved out a unique spot in their market, but, hell, you could say that about all the dearly departed.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Usually a great front office decision: Cut local coverage, then wonder why subscriptions, and eventually ads, plummet.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well the SF Chronicle already basically punted all their preps coverage. Any of it comes from a former staffer who now works at MaxPreps.

Awesome that they say there will be more college and pro news... just as long as they neither produce nor pay for it.

Just fucking atrocious.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And of course, the lead paragraph is the same-old bullshit of corporate buzzwords, followed by the obligatory "Yeah, we're cutting a lot, but dammit, we're going to be even better!" crappy line.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Do more with less! Do more with less!! Every time I hear that line I could scream.

I kind of saw something like this coming. I'd think about "what if all these papers were folded under one name" and think naaa, they wouldn't do that. (rollseyes)

Draft saved Draft deleted