1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands you saw in concert before they were famous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 10, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have no freaking clue how I remembered this group:

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo

Saw them in college. The only question is, did they ever become famous?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

J.Giels Band at Connecticut College in 1968. Asleep at the Wheel in 1970.

My wife Alice saw Springsteen at the old Harvard Square Theater in that time when he opened for Bonnie Raitt and she wouldn't go on after him. Only one of the most famous concerts ever. I envy her that.

3. WTH!

WTH! New Member

late 1970s, saw a three bill with a band named Journey who opened followed by Sea Level and Lynard Skynard (prior to the plane crash)....Journey was booed off the stage....

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Gin and Yoo-Hoo? Yogi doesn't approve.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Saw Moby almost 20 years ago at the Strand in Providence. They used to have the WBRU dance party on Saturday nights, and sometimes there would be a guest performer around midnight for a half-hour or so set.
    IIRC, Moby had opened for somebody at the Orpheum in Boston that night, and stormed down I-95. He performed solo on electric guitar, accompanied only by some kind of synthisizer box taller than him. People sometimes forget, because his synth-techno stuff made his bones, he's a helluva guitarist.
    Saw Oasis at Lupo's on their first American tour - the only show Mrs. T and I have ever walked out of. The Gallagher boys were just being pouty bitches that night.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Primus open for Rush on the Presto tour. I liked them, but they were booed off the stage after about five songs.

I saw the Cranberries in Dublin at a club Bono owned, I think it was Mr. Pussy's, shortly after I graduated from high school in 1992, which I think was about a year before their first big album came out. They were unbelievable and this was before the lead singer had cut her hair and was drop-dead gorgeous.

I also saw Cake and Green Day about a hundred times at Bay Area clubs when I was in high school. I wasn't stunned Green Day hit it big, but I was super stunned that Cake, even though I liked them a lot, ever met with mainstream success.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I went to high school in Kansas.

And almost everyone claimed that "Kansas" played at their high school's homecoming dance or prom at one time or another.

Of course, that was before they were famous and they weren't "Kansas," yet.

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

They shortened the name to Oingo Boingo and had a few well received albums during the post-punk '80s .... band member Danny Elfman went on to have a big career scoring TV shows, movies, commercials, and such ...

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Saw Radiohead at the old 9:30 Club in D.C. (on F Street) in 1993. Fucking incredible show in front of maybe 1,000 people. Have not seen them again.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I saw a show on that leg too with Primus. At a show a few weeks later, Mr. Big was the opener.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Smart crowd.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw the second leg of that tour as well. Mr. Big was better received than Primus, and I think that was before "To Be With You" was a hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted