1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands you saw in concert before they were famous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I saw The National several times before they released Alligator in 2005.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I assume you are a Charleston native. That was a wild time right before McCain's first album and Cracked Rear View blew up nationally. Edwin and Darius Rucker were really nice guys.

I remember seeing Hootie play in Charleston, going on deployment and then coming back to find out they were the biggest band in the country. What a difference three months makes.

Also, in this club called Friar Tucks (we called it Friar Jerks) across from Old Dominion, we saw this weird band called the Dave Matthews Band. Then they blew up and became the biggest thing in the country. I was in the Caribbean and heard "What Would You Say" at a hotel. Bizarre.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jimmie's Chicken Shack baby!!!!

Not super famous like those others mentioned here, obviously, but they played at our fraternity house a bunch of times in the mid to late 90s.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen was strictly a regional act when he played the Mosque and the old gym at UVA when I saw him in spring/fall of 1974.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Dave Matthews open for Hootie and the Blowfish when I was in college.

I saw Pearl Jam open for the Chili Peppers in 1991.

I saw Nirvana in a club in early 1991 before Nevermind had come out.

Rage against the Machine at Lollapalooza.

Tool on the second stage at Lollapalooza.

Alice in Chains opening for Van Halen in 1989 or 1990.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Phish
    Radiohead
    Jewell

Those are the only three I can think of who went on to have any real level of fame.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Pantera.

No, seriously.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Thursday around 2001 when I was at UB. Believed they played in my friends basement on UB South.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a ton of Bruce/Virginia/Richmond stuff in the R&R HOF

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a fraternity party at UCSB in 1990 and Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Gin Blossoms played.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Monster Magnet - About a week before Space Lord cracked the top spot on the old TRL.

I think I bumped into the White Stripes in the '90s. I was too drunk to remember for sure.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I saw Smashing Pumpkins open for Guns N' Roses in the early '90s in Oklahoma (Tulsa or OKC, don't recall). Pumpkins had released their first album Gish a few months before. I had it because a friend told me they were gonna be the next Jane's Addiction (who I liked a lot).

I was looking forward to seeing Smashing Pumpkins. Unfortunately, most of the crowd couldn't care less. The crowd is chanting "GNR, GNR, GNR" through the Pumpkins' first two songs. Clearly pissed off, Billy Corgan says "Now I see what you all do when you're not milking cows all day" and the crowd erupted into a chorus of boos. People started throwing beer cups at Corgan. He sang only two more songs before leaving the stage. The band stayed and played one more song with no vocals before slinking off.

Draft saved Draft deleted