1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands you saw in concert before they were famous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

With all the music threads on here I am sure this one may have been done before but I could not find it.

Simple question, what bands did you see before they hit it big.

For me: Canadian band division - The Tragically Hip played the university club I worked at for a couple weeks before their first album came out. Famously (at least in Winnipeg lore :)) got kicked out of their gig at a local club for being too rock and not enough pop.

The Cult seemed to show up every 9 months for a show. On one of the many times they came they has this crappy, horribly out of tune opening act with a super irritating lead singer. Six months later I am watching MTV while in the states and see the video for "Welcome to the Jungle" and realize it was the shit band that opened for The Cult. Welcome to the Jungle and Knockin on Heaven's Door were the only songs I remember from that show.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I saw U2 in December 1981, in a bar with about 500 people. I was sitting two tables from the stage.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Dave Matthews Band. 8th grade. Charlottesville. Music snobs around here hate him; he's incredible live. Seen him several times since.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hate the Dave Matthews Band. :)

It's a shame the Drive-by Truckers are not more famous. Because 1) they deserve it, and 2) I'd have a bunch of cool stories to tell on this thread.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You once owned a Nickelback CD. And I love the Drive-by Truckers. Douche. I'll leave it at that.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does the Why Store count?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

None - unless you count seeing Bonnie Raitt in 1986 (during her down period between her 70s success and her 90s-00s success) open for John Fogerty (Eye of the Zombie Tour, at which point he was under his "no CCR" vow)

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Hootie and the Blowfish

Dave Matthews

Edwin McCain (not that he's famous, per se, any more, but he had a nicel little run)

All three of them were regulars at my hometown club back in the day before making it.

Counting Crows

Train. Saw them open for Hootie a few times in early 90's.

Zac Brown. Still remember it to this day. Was in Atlanta in 2005 for a Katrina Relief fundraiser. A bunch of us (and artists playing said benefit) were at a park (Piedmont, I think) playing kickball, bocce, tossing the frisbee. Basically just enjoying the outdoors.

There was a little stage set up so some of the performers could do their thing, and up walked Zac with his guitar and he just was crazy good with his playing. And when he opened his mouth...wow. I commented to the Mrs. at them time that "this dude who has got to be the spawn of Grizzly Adams is pretty damn good."

Very happy for his success. You won't find a nicer guy around.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jimmy Buffett.

Fleetwood Mac.

Going to see Dave Matthews this summer for the first time, with Zac Brown.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hate Dave Matthews. And I'm about as far from a music snob as it can get. Saw him at the Patriot Center back in 1995. Decent show. And I liked him way back then. He's just gotten old, I suppose.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are the New York Dolls considered famous? How about Cheap Trick? Nils Lofgren? Southside Johnny? That's all I got -- semi-famous.

Oh, and I agree with Care Bear on DMB and especially like a lot Dave's acoustic stuff with Tim Reynolds. There I said it.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw that Cult/Gunners tour in Kitchener that year. As I recall G n R was very good, the Cult, not so much.

I saw the Barenaked Ladies a lot in their early days in Toronto, same with Blue Rodeo although they haven't achieved the level of success they deserve south of the 49th. Saw the Hip once too.

Draft saved Draft deleted