1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands who actually sound better in their live concert recordings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Bob Seger was great live, in person and on his first live album. The second one was merely okay, but there was a live version of "Brave Strangers" that was the B side of that shitty single they released, too. The B-side "Brave Strangers" is excellent. The single, whatever it was, sucked then and now.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Don't mean to do a pseudo-threadjack, but I remember when The Wallflowers were at the height of their popularity in 1998 and they did a live performance on SNL. I didn't hate them, but I didn't listen to their CD, either.

Needless to say, after hearing them live (although on the TV) I never wanted to hear them again. It was without a doubt the worst live performance I had ever heard in my life.

On a side note, I went to the Warped Tour a while back ... I think 2002 ... and Mighty Mighty Bosstones were great live. Aside from being over energetic and able to get the crowd into a huge frenzy, they have a guy in the band who just dances around the stage, which is sweet.

That, and Andrew W.K. has to be the most insane person I have ever seen. He wasn't great live, but it's hard to describe how nuts he was on stage.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I must say though, it was largely unnecessary. The KISS bootlegs from that era are pretty damn good in their own right.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Loudest club show: Stray Cats at the Masonic Temple in Toronto. I was in the front row. My ears stopped ringing three days later.

Loudest arena show: AC/DC at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton on the Heatseeker tour.

Loudest outdoor show: Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Motorhead and others, Operation Rock and Roll tour, CNE Grandstand.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This thread started out discussing concert "recordings" and somehow devolved into loudest concert experience.

???

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, not really, but sometimes bands mask how shitty they are onstage by playing really fucking loud.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and ...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for busting our humps, warden.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Adams led off.... was out there for 30 minutes. And he killed.

Hagar was dressed in red and climbed on shit talking about Gore's lock box, but it appartently had three locks.

Aerosmith sounded like shit.

Journey was Journey.

I could listen to Perry and Schon all night.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the concert i saw was adams' third 'real' concert ever. a ton of energy. fucker was climbing the catwalk and not, was at least five or more stories above the stage at times ... and he killed, he was awesome.

and perry was at his crystal-clear best.

11. The Combo Meal

The Combo Meal New Member

Funky got it right. Radiohead is the best live show on the planet. A radiohead show is an incredible thing.

12. He's not a band, and he's old, but a classic "sounds better live than in the studio" musician is Peter Frampton.

Draft saved Draft deleted