1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands who actually sound better in their live concert recordings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That first solo he plays on Luther College still amazes me. It sounds like three people playing instead of just one.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Lucinda Williams.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Hey! Hey! Soul Asylum and Screaming Trees were a great double-opener for the incredibly shitty Spin Doctors. In 1994.

But Alison Krauss and Union Station are vastly superior to their recordings. And their live double album from the Kentucky Theater can calm the meanest beast.

4. Pink Floyd needs to be near the very top of this list. Just under Pearl Jam.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Though Alice in Chains will be touring again this summer.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the best sounding concert i ever attended was bryan adams/journey a coupla years back in the tacoma dome.

7. As far as the best sounding concerts...any show at the Paramount Theater in Seattle, WA had top sound as well as the Pantera remodeled Bronco Bowl in Dallas, TX. The new House of Blues in Dallas has one of the best "so loud it's silly" sound systems. Only show I've attended there (thus far) was Dimmu Borgir a couple of months back. The sound was painfully loud yet crystal clear. The all-time loudest shows I've been to I base on my inability to hear afterwards. Ministry at Club Clearview [Dallas, TX] on 12.29.88 is at the top of the list. I couldn't hear for three days afterwards. My right ear cleared up a day before the left ear did. For that one day I was resigning myself to the fact that I would be deaf in my left ear for the rest of my life. Ramones and Motorhead shows are always great for after-show hearing problems. A few years ago Turbonegro was so loud during soundcheck that I actually wore earplugs during the show (the only time I've worn earplugs). For absolute shear, ecstatic volume I would go with the triumvirate of Neil Young, AC/DC, and the Melvins.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

most bands i enjoy sound better on live recordings, but i already knew that, considering how much i enjoy a band is determined by how much i enjoy them live -- for the most part.

that little pixie beth orton pissed me off with a poor performance at a show once, and i've heard other live recordings and come to the conslusion she is just better on a studio album.

not being a huge radiohead fan, i had low expectations the first time i saw them. no way would they be able to replicate that sound live, i presumed. they were great.

if a band doesn't sound good live, i have a hard time liking that band. over-produced studio nonsense is irritating.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My Morning Jacket. Way better live than on record, more dynmaic. End of freakin' list!

And, like Simon, I don't think some of these bands sound so much ebtter live than on record. Pearl Jam sounds great doing everything. Same with U2, wilco, etc.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I saw them together (with Sammy Hagar and Aerosmith) in 1983.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

I don't think there is a band in the world that sounds better in studio than Pink Floyd.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Both of you suck as much as Nickelback does.

Draft saved Draft deleted