1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Band features newspaper theme for halftime show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Faithless, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

From the DeSoto Times Today (Southaven, Miss.):

"An original musical composition based on the elements of a community newspaper has Hernando High School band Director Mike Langley excited about his award-winning band's participation in district-wide competition next month."

http://www.desototimes.com/articles/2007/09/08/news/news02.txt

High school marching bands have come a long way from playing the standards like Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World" and Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4."

The school is about a hundred miles from me. I might ride over there one Friday night to review the band's performance, followed by a postgame visit to certain 'gentlemen's' venues in Memphis. Or, I might save myself a few $$$ if the band comes to my city for the big regional marching band festival next month.

Speaking of the festival, my newspaper publishes a huge special spection tab promoting this event. Each band (roughly 35 to 40) gets a page with its group photo and show setlist. One band's show last year - a tribute to Southern rock - featured Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama," the Charlie Daniels Band's, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," and the smash hit by those good ole boys Deep Purple, "Smoke on the Water."

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

By the fourth week of the season, the drum corps will be realigned into the woodwinds as part of a financial restructuring.

Notices will be sent in the first quarter of the game that week that 18 band members will be marched off the field at halftime, also part of the restructuring. They won't be invited back and will have five minutes of the third quarter to gather their belongings and leave, under the watchful eye of security guards.

At season's end, the band director will announce his retirement. A month later the band will learn all its proceeds from sales of candy, wrapping paper and cookie dough have been pilfered.

(Good for the band. I think what they're doing is cool.)

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I also heard space is shrinking and they'll have to make do using a smaller section of the field.

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

That may be the case, but I heard morale is high at the ol' Information Center.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

As an old band member and a proud drummer, I know they work hard.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Well, dawg gawnit, if they work hard, they should get just as much coverage as everyone else.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

The Hernando band director figured out how to do just that.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When is Singleton coming in to buy the band and commence with the cutting?

Tuba? gone.
    Drummers? We can get rid of a few of them and have one drummer for the whole band.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And none of the band guys will get any action with the flag girls.

10. spud

spud Member

You seen the flag girls lately? One step above dudes.

11. Very nice post, six.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was a band guy who married a flag girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted