1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bamberger's year on the Philly beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aussie_Nick, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

We've been down this road several times before, but what the heck.

1. People don't always get along in a workplace setting.

2. People get along even less when they're competing in a workplace setting.

A lot of covering a beat, especially baseball, where the access is both great and potentially overwhelming, is developing relationships with people. If I can protect my turf by disparaging the guy from Brand X, I'm going to do it. What else are you going to do, say, "Hey, make sure you tell Bambi everything you tell me. He's new here?"

Russ Schneider and Bob Sudyk didn't speak to each other when they covered the Indians for the competing Cleveland papers in the '70s. Think about that: In most press boxes, the visiting guys are going to be clustered together and they wouldn't speak. They would interview the manager separately.

In a perfect world, everyone gets along. It doesn't happen in the real world and it doesn't happen in the press box.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

One other thing: One person's view of "kissing players' asses" is another person's view of "developing strong relationships."

In my time, I've seen guys like Hal McCoy and Rick Hummel get along well with the players they cover. Doesn't mean they're pushovers, but it shows they've earned some respect with fair treatment, both personally and in print.

On the other hand, Barry Bloom couldn't walk into the Padres clubhouse without some war erupting. I don't think that ever worked to his benefit.

What you're there to do, corny as it sounds, is get information you can put in the paper for people who follow that team.

How you accomplish that is often a function of personality and being able to handle the weird dynamic of a baseball clubhouse.

I've seen guys who tried to kiss up to players and were rejected for what the players saw as weakness. On the other hand, I've seen beat writers who greet players by making some disparaging remark about their stats or ability and the players laugh along with them.

3. And right now Barry Bloom is so far up Barry Bonds behind trying to finagle a book deal it's pathetic, but you don't see him getting many special Bonds stories, even if he does lounge in the easy chair, hug him on sight and referring to him as ``Double B'' or some such ridiculous nickname.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Please tell me the "double B" thing is a joke.
    Please.

5. I wish it was a joke but it is the absolute truth. It usuallly int he midst of the embrace.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yak on the keyboard.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Loved that story.

8. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Great story, although I'd like to see Brown's version of it. That ain't happening.

9. Baba_Booey

Baba_Booey Member

I believe Bloom and Bonds refer to each other as "B squared." A fist bump usually follows.

10. Hey Moderator 1

At one time -- and I don't know if it is still true -- Bloom was even doing Bonds' personal web site

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add other than to say these threads keep me coming back here.

While Bloom's behavior, if true, crosses the line, working a pro sports lockerroom is no different than any other beat where you depend on people with their own agendas for access and information.

12. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Brown's version would go something like this: "That elitist foof thought he was going to show us how to do the beat. Fruck him. I treated him like crap and ran him off. I showed all the players how cool I am. Now who's next? I'll run them off, too. I'm Brownie, king of the clubhouse, king of jock sniffers."

Draft saved Draft deleted