1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bamberger's year on the Philly beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aussie_Nick, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I disagree. I think press box politics, particularly in the man's man world that is MLB and the BBWAA, acts as a good allegory for the way men in all walks of life seize power, clash personalities, etc., etc.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But Bamberger never even came close to making that connection. He didn't even hint at it. He told the story about a bully in a pressbox and then tried to figure out why the bully hated him without adding a smidgen or allusion to a larger context.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

just because mike's a good writer and has carved out a good career doesn't mean this story doesn't suck or that he's not a whiny wuss. :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Did you see Bamberger's follow-up piece on the kids who were mean to him on the school bus in fifth grade?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The baseball beat is war. Plain and simple.

Brown might be an immature asshole about a lot of things, but Bamberger comes across as a bitch.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Very interesting read.

The hierarchy of a pro or major DI college beat is a funny thing. I'd imagine there's probably pricks on nearly every one, though.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You're right, he didn't. But somebody ought to write a novel about it. The press box, especially the baseball press box, is junior high for adults - bullies, cool kids, smart nerds who get made fun of, lapdogs for the cool kids, high school kids who guys try to buddy up to and be cool by assocation (players), etc.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

this story was the baseball verson of mike fraudman's infamous SportsJournalists.com rant about the jets press room. wah-wah-wah. :'( :'( :'(

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's amazing how two people can read something and form completely different opinions.

Better than all the beat guys?

Bamberger says, "Brown should have been Pascarelli's successor." How can anyone read that and come to the conclusion that Bamberger  thought he was better than all the beat guys?

He also admits he was a "dubious" choice whose "only qualifications were a youthful love of baseball and a single news story, an obituary of Bart Giamatti." Furthermore, he was so unsure of the move that he basically had to be convinced to "try it for a year".

That's a person with a sense of entitlement?

Here's a novel thought: If you don't like writers whining about people in our profession acting like 12-year-old children . . . quit acting like 12-year-old children. Act like a decent, courteous, professional adult.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

that struck me as insincere bullshit. whatever.

i guess my point would be that i have friends in many professions, and the dynamics they speak of is not much diiferent among their co-workers. people in the same company are often competitive, rude and stand-offish. they probably all bitch about co-workers during their off time. on sports beats, it's no different -- and you're trying to kick everyone else's ass. yet friendships are formed. as they are in every other business.

just like every company has in-fighting, jealousy and friction. who gives a flying fuck? do the job as best you can. if you're not treated nicely by others, just work hard at what you do and move on.

bamberger did that well. he got the last laugh, for sure. but then he didn't have to rub everyone's face in his success. especially not a dead guy.

we report the news. cover the beats as best we can. how we go about our business should always remain an in-house deal.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I understand the point. Just don't agree with it.

If we can manufacture a news story based on what direction Britney Spears' baby seat is facing in her car, then how we go about our business qualifies as news, too.

The movie "Outfoxed" was a terrific illustration of how Fox News "went about its business." "Tabloid Wars" on Bravo is another example.

In a world where media credibility is being shaken, how we go about our business is very important, IMO.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

IMO, using FOX NEWS and "tabloid wars" to fuel an argument is not advisable. i expect much. much, MUCH more from s.i. than any "news" judgements the tabs make. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted