1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bama's Wells pulls a Donovan (or Mason, or Cremins)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Jun 27, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The decisions are nowhere near the same. One guy -- again, a virtual unknown outside the SEC --said he was retiring, then changed his mind. Nobody outside of Bama cares.
    The other guy -- the hottest commodity in coaching with consecutive NCAA basketball championships -- accepted a $27 million NBA job, then reneged on a signed freaking contract.

There is absolutely nothing to equate the two.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Wow, never imagined that my thread title would be the subject of debate.

I was merely equating the two decisions, as I also exemplified with the references to Glen Mason and Bobby Cremins -- and there are probably a dozen other guys I could name.

It never crossed my mind that Wells and Donovan were equally well known or equally accomplished, but they both left and came back. That's all I was saying. Sorry it bugged you so much.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The pompous bullshit that goes on here is often amazing. This is one of those times.

It's a thread title on a freakin' message board. It didn't require a response from you, much less the dickhead bullshit you tossed out. The decisions are roughly similar, since both guys left their jobs and then decided they made a mistake and returned.

So, to sum up. You were wrong and a dick. Not the first time for either, I'm certain.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

What fucking job did the Wells character, whoever the fuck he is, take and then walk away from to return to Bama?

That's what Donovan, Cremins and Mason did...they signed contracts and reneged. This nobody announced his retirement then changed his mind.
    Plus, he's an unheard of fucking baseball coach that nobody outside of the bullshit SEC gives a flying fuck about.

He did not pull a Donovan .. and nobody outside of your little SEC Kingdom knows who the fuck he is anyway.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Ah, OK, I see. It's not about Wells or the thread title. It's about some pathetic attempt to bait someone into an argument with you.

Good luck with that.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

No dog, it's about a thread title that implies someone most people have never heard of just turned reneged on a big contract to go back to where he came from...

That is "pulling a Donovan"!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I surrender this thread to you, sir. Because I'm not going to argue about something as stupid as the definition of "pulling a Donovan."

8. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

Damn dude, if you don't care. Skip the post. Don't berate the guy drawing the same analogy half the other people who heard the story made. The rest of us really don't have to know your opinion on every topic.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wells dipped his toe in the water, said he was going in, then changed his mind. Donovan dived in, took 14 people with him, stayed in the water for two days, then jumped out and decided he didn't like being wet. Lots of people change their minds, but normally it's before signing an eight-figure contract.

Now if Portland takes Oden tonight, signs him immediately, introduces him to fans Friday and then Monday holds a press conference to announce that after great introspection, they've decided they'd really rather have Durant, then we can start talking about "pulling a Billy."

Draft saved Draft deleted