1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bama fires Gottfried

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 26, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. And I still maintain the league will end up with five spots -- not because it earned it, but because it is the SEC and the major conferences at-large bids will be more deserving than the smaller conferences -- even if they aren't.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Settle down, chief.

Stansbury's a good coach. A good coach that's had trouble doing anything outside of the conference, but you could certainly do worse. It was tongue in cheek.

As for the SEC, I think Blitz is certainly much closer to hitting the nail on the head than JayFerrar, who seems to be missing every SEC game. He says LSU sucks and that Kentucky isn't any good, yet those two are playing as well or better than any of the other teams in the conference. Hell, Kentucky might be the best team in the league, if only because stopping Jodie Meeks seems impossible to do.

I think it's a four bid league, with those four going to Kentucky, Florida, Mississippi State and Tennessee. LSU may make it.

Of those, I'm not sure if any can advance past the Sweet 16, though. If UK, MSU or Florida gets the right matchups, it could. If Tennessee ever takes its collective head out of its collective ass and decides to play good, hard, disciplined basketball, it could. I wouldn't bank on it though.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

They're delusional ... no doubting that.

Difference is, they expect to be at the top for football. Being among the top programs for basketball is about all the school's lunatics expect. If they really think they're going to overtake Duke and Chapel Hill, I want some of what they're inhaling. That's NCSU-level thinking there ...

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yep, a four-bid year for the SEC. I thought Arkansas might be the fifth after they beat Texas and Oklahoma, but they're too young and they got blown out of Bud Walton by the corn doggers.

Draft saved Draft deleted