1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bama fires Gottfried

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The post above yours is highly educational. Read the last sentence of it again.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What "goods" do they have? Photos of he and some co-eds at a frat part, like Larry Eustachy?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Rumors have circulated for almost two months about off-the-court activities. I don't think it would be a fireable offense if they were winning, though.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The quiet hope had been that he would win enough to get to the tournament this year, then jump at the first opening.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I don't really buy that the media really shapes the tourney field that broadly. I still drink the Kool Aid and believe that the committee uses the criteria given (particularly RPI, however flawed, based on bad information, etc.) and spits out something that's "right." Otherwise, how do all the bracketheads like Palm, Lunardi, etc. spit out almost exactly the same fields seeded the same way?

Pods do make for some indefensible situations with lower-seeded teams getting virtual homecourt advantages, but I look at the travel costs issue being more important for fans of teams than the schools. Damn tournament prints all the money they need to ship Alaska to Florida and Maine to Hawaii. Joe and Betty Sixpack have a tougher time with that, and that feeds into the pod scenario, too.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course not. Not at this bastion of professional ethics, which fired Mike Price before he had ever coached a game.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

I've heard... things.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Clemson has always been a choker on the football field, too. Didn't stop the Tigers from running Tommy Bowden out of town.
    That school has always believed they are something they are not. They'll love you initially for 18-20 wins, but they'll want 21-25 and a Sweet 16 berth every year before too long.

9. Aren't the Gators something like 14-3, though? Uh....they'll get in.

[/quote]

Gators started 18-3 last year, but went 8-8 in the SEC and missed the NCAAs for the first time in like 10 years.

10. Add on: The SEC is terrible. Four teams tops.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm an SEC fan, but the league has some horrendous losses this season. Really sucktastic ones.

12. Blitz, the SEC would get respect from the "big media" if it hadn't completely shit the bed during the nonconference season. It ranks sixth in the conference RPI, and has been trading spots 6-7 with the Mountain West.

Sorry, four-bid league at most.

Draft saved Draft deleted