1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bama fires Gottfried

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If the SEC gets five, the committee is on drugs.
    That only happens if some odd ball team gets the automatic bid. Name teams like Kentucky and Arkansas suddenly start playing better while Florida and Tennessee remain steady as it goes.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Richard Williams, line one.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Tennessee is playing well? The Vols have lost 4 of 7 to fall out of the polls, including the embarrassing loss to Kentucky when Meeks went off.

And Florida? The Gators never should have lost to South Carolina.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Aren't the Gators something like 14-3, though? Uh....they'll get in.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

This job has Oliver Purnell all over it.
    Bama will give him a huge pay raise and he gets out before Clemson figures out his teams cannot win big games.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They're 17-3, but there's no way they should have lost that game.

I meant of those two teams he mentioned, Tennessee isn't playing well right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gottfried was already dead man walking at the end of the year. What many have heard (but none yet have the proof to print) is that Mark may have been too friendly with a coed for anyone's good.

Meanwhile, the early money is on Anthony Grant at Moddy U.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

When Steele couldn't stay healthy, that was the beginning of the end.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean Gottfried shouldn't have been axed, but this post cracked me up as I've never associated any of the above failings with Alabama hoops.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then again, who's really heard much at all about Alabama hoops? I'll pretty much hafta take the word of what anyone says about it.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It has its own niche, and certainly is far from the dregs of society. Seven SEC titles (the next-best showing after Kentucky) and eight Sweet 16 trips isn't bad at all. The program has slipped, but even considering the rise of other programs (and the albatross of a way-too-big arena), it is in the top half of SEC jobs, minimum.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ummm...LSU is 15-4. I'm not saying they're Final Four material, but that's not "awful". They've been a pleasant surprise this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted