1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore tips, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Most places post their menus outside the front door. You can get dinner for ~$15 a plate or so at a lot of them. It's definitely good stuff.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I recommend the Subway.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had a crabcake for the first time about two years ago at a game I covered. I've lived in Maryland most of my life.

Yes, I reek of epic fail.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Chrissakes, people. You all sicken me.

No likey crabcakes? Bubbler, we can't be friends. :'(

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Walk around outside Camden Yards before the game. Pickles is awesome and there are vendors with cheap food ($2 pretzels!) outside the stadium. Plus you can bring in any snacks you want as long as it's in a clear bag.

6. forever_town

I like crabcakes in moderation. I hate tea of any kind, so I can't drink sweet tea.

Does that doom a friendship, too?

7. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Not a resident, never lived THAT close, but I visit EVERY SINGLE YEAR with college buddies and never fail to have a blast. Maybe what we do is all tourist traps, but I don't care, because it's fun.

1. Cross Street Market. It's located in Federal Hill. You can get 32-ounce beers for like $6. Great smells, good fresh seafood, and a little food station called Bruce Lee's Wings. Their motto is "We Kick Ass." Get a photo in front of sign. Plus, their wings are OUTSTANDING. Have to get there early or they run out.
    2. Walk around Federal Hill. Lots of interesting bars and restaurants. We like Regi's. Good selection of entrees, good wine.
    3. Inner Harbor. Completely packed with people, mostly tourist. Still, take a spin around, have a drink outside and people watch.
    4. National Aquarium. Simply awesome and worth the time and money if that's your kind of thing.
    5. Fells Point. Take the Water Taxi from the Inner Harbor to add to the journey if you want, but a cab isn't pricey either. Tons of cool bars. Greene Turtle is fun, but gets PACKED at the night gets later.
    6. Canton. Visited only once, seems like a cool area, but I can't give much advice.

We also tend to stop by the Baja Beach Club, which is just outside the Baltimore Live complex (check that out if you like clubs). Baja is usually no cover with bartenders serving in bikinis. It has a slight edge to it, and it IS a club, but the scenery is nice.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm friends with the owner of Pickles.

Give him money.

Thank you.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

The Block.

Avoid it.

Unless, of course, you're into that kinda thing ...

10. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Also, about a half-mile from Camden Yards is this place called Lexington Market
    http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/

If you have time, you should definitely check it out. Cheap food, and in October they have a Chocolate Fest :)

11. forever_town

What is that, Mount Vernon?

12. Bertha's Mussels in Fells Point. Mama's on the Half Shell in Canton. Both great Balmore stops for food and drink

Draft saved Draft deleted