1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun to start paywall Oct. 10

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hot and Rickety, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Was Jamison Hensley one? I've always considered him the foremost Ravens writer.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Josh Charles says you should read Kevin Van Valkenburg, of the aforementioned Sun.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I do think newspapers need to try it and since there's no example of success yet, I don't know how you go about it. But does it seem like $100 a year is a bit steep for this? Especially when you're just getting it going?

There are just so many free options out there for similar content and you've been free for your entire online existence it seems like you should ease into it, like $5 a month or something like that.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For as much damage as they've done to newspapers, I think this is one thing Gannett could do that might help save them. If Gannett (or another large chain) were to offer some sort of "league pass" to some or all of its newspapers, then put up a company-wide paywall, I think it might be enough to change the mindset.
    One paper does it, and people will just go somewhere else. If 100 papers do it at the same time, the options are far more limited.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

good point, especially for the metro-dailies...the smaller-town dailies/weeklies can get away with pay walls more easily because their news isn't broadcast by multiple sources.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, that could be marketed with USA Today to get a more national base.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

From everything I've read on pay walls, it's sort of worked for Podunk dailies.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Toby Keith knows where to get the whiskey for his men. But if the horse can't get back in the bar, he's got a dilemma. Maybe Willie Nelson can help him out with the beer for the horses.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I ain't as good as I once was.

(God, he does a lot of songs about drinking)

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

As I've posted many times before (with little substantive pushback), I can't think of any reason why it makes any sense to continuing distributing content in bundles based on how streets were designed a long time ago (i.e. old newspaper delivery routes). The cost of adding additional sources of information--once you're assured of their quality--is almost 0 on the web*. It made sense for a reader to pay for someone to bundle his world news, local news, arts news, sports news, TV listings, weather, etc. when print (and even TV/radio) was the main mode of information distribution. It doesn't really make much sense now. People still want information, no doubt--they just don't necessarily want it the bundle newspapers continue to deliver on the web. Why would a Ravens fan like "podunk press" pay to subsidize a bunch of other mediocre coverage at the Sun* when there are, apparently, excellent websites that cover the team and provide better coverage?

* Not an actual commentary on the Sun, because I don't read it. Based solely on podunk's comment.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And America and how you better love it or he'll kick your ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted