1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun to start paywall Oct. 10

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hot and Rickety, Sep 24, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Pay walls are a must-do. But if you subscribe to the print product, you should be given online access as part of that package IMO

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So to save newspapers, it's rate should be "suggested"? If only the NY Times has as many fans as Radiohead. Too bad it costs more to put out a daily edition of the paper than it is to make produce an album.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bingo. Once you finish an album, you're basically just trying to make money to recoup costs (and make a tidy profit, of course). Other than promotion, there's not a lot more you have to sink into the cost. If it takes you six months or a year to make that sum you're doing pretty well. The product also has a shelf life of ... eternity.
    Newspapers are a perishable item. Most of their content "spoils" within a day or two. Yet the cost of producing a large newspaper is probably the same or more than what it takes to produce and promote an album. You cannot recoup that cost through a donation model, on a daily basis, before the information spoils.

Plus, didn't the Miami Herald already try this? And wasn't it an abject failure?

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

But it worked for Radiohead. It HAS to work for everything.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

As an Orioles fan, the Baltimore Sun will get me reading MASN and Orioles.com a lot more starting Oct. 10.

I understand why newspapers are doing this online (hey, the NY Times did so can we!), but it seems like a typical lemming maneuver with no long-term foresight. The youth needs to be captured and this is not the way (nor the platform) to do it. Just my 2 cents, feel free to rail on me. :)

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This theory is why I only listen to bands trying to recreate OK Computer.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That might be the intent. No idea what they are thinking or how they see the future, but every printed copy of a newspaper is an added expense. Online content costs about the same, no matter how many subscribers are paying for it.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is why the paywall is only part of the (potential) solution. The Sun has to offer something readers can't get at those other places. Maybe the increase in paywalls will also lead to newspaper companies renewing their investment in enterprise. I'm probably being too optimistic.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wish someone would create a pay site that gave me access to all kinds of newspapers.

I'm willing to pay, but I'm not going to pay for more than one or two.

If someone would bundle them, then you could split the revenue based on page views.

Plus, then you could put up a real paywall instead of allowing 15 or 20 "free" views.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

There was a company which tried to do this - and I am blanking on the name (Journalism Now?) but recall it was run by a guy who maybe you didn't want to run a company.

Anyway, a lot of papers signed up and went through research and were supposed to launch this thing ... last year. Appears they've all given up on that and now are on their own.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I think metro dailies have lost the dedicated sports reader anyway.

I can think of two Ravens writers I read regularly online. Neither one of them works at The Baltimore Sun now.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Newspapers let the horse out of the bar far too long ago. Now it's tough getting it back in. Plus, the Tribune newspapers don't have that much to offer much anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted