1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun sports editor/writer beaten and robbed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jon Fogg, a sports content editor and lacrosse writer at the Baltimore Sun, was beaten and robbed Jan. 14 while coming home from work. He's recovering from skull fractures, gashes on his head, missing and damaged teeth and broken fingers after being hit in the head with a brick.

The fucking waste of breath who robbed him hit him with a brick even after Jon offered up his wallet. He also stole Jon's Prius.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-01-22/news/bs-md-ci-fogg-assailant-20140122_1_police-release-photograph-baltimore-sun-editor-canton

Jon's also worked at The Washington Times and the Allentown Morning Call.

His family started a fund for his medical care.

http://www.gofundme.com/6ba5gk

Please donate if you can. Jon is one of the good guys out there.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Heard about this. Thanks for sharing the link where donations can be accepted. Hoping for a big-time recovery.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, please, donate if you are able. Jon was part of the original Times staff and hooked on with Baltimore after that staff was laid off in its entirety. This was a brutal crime.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

This is a really sad story and definitely hard to read. I know we can all relate as people in the is business just trying to scratch out a living. Nobody needs or deserves this. Him and his family are in my prayers. Hopefully the Sun will fill in any of the gaps since it obviously sounds like he was attacked while on the job.

5. VJ

VJ Member

All things considered he is doing well, and the financial support he's received from the for his dental work and other medical expenses is nothing short of remarkable. He's a good dude and if people can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and catch that fucker.

6. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Police made an arrest Friday, the Baltimore Sun reports:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-canton-robbery-arrest-20140124,0,5225556.story

7. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

That's just awful.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What a dumb fuck.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, at least it's safe (I hope) to say that this case won't be dropped by prosecutors, sent to juvenile court, or put on the inactive list.

Good. It's time for this guy to pay the piper.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So this was just a random mugging? Not really related to anything he wrote or whatever. Still sucks, of course.

I once had a guy threaten me over a column I wrote. Told me on the phone to meet him the parking lot. I was a little disappointed when the punk didn't show up.

On a serious note, some of these papers are located in a, um, less than stellar parts of town. And, of course, you wind up coming home after midnight. Yeah, I've learned to look over my shoulder at times.

11. JonFogg

JonFogg New Member

Thank you to everyone for your support. I've been back at work at the Sun for a month, and recovery is progressing. Staying home all day is severely overrated. Next time you wish you didn't have to work, think again.

I don't know how many of you guys carry some sort of personal safety device -- pepper spray, stun gun, Taser ... handgun (legally, of course) -- but if you don't, you need to start. Today. Stun guns and Tasers aren't legal everywhere, but pepper spray is, as far as I can tell. I never thought of pepper spray as something a male would carry, but that was a foolish assumption. Had I had a canister of it in my pocket, I might've saved myself some injuries to my head, mouth and hands that I wouldn't wish on anybody. But I'll never know. "Could I have prevented this?" is not a question you want to have to ask yourself, believe me.

I'm not trying to go PSA here, but self-defense is an important issue that I didn't think enough about. So I ask you to not only about it, but do something about it. Never assume you're safe, no matter where you are, and always be prepared with some kind of means to effectively defend yourself with. I want people to learn from my experience, so if you have any questions, let me know.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm really glad they caught the piece of garbage who did that to you, Jon.

Draft saved Draft deleted