1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun gets reinvented

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 9, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13391

I know Lee Abrams gets bashed a lot, but can Baltimore Sunners comment on what he is talking about?

I'd also like to see what the Sun is doing. If you are in that area, drop me a PM

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sun gets reinvented, and many of the folks who help with the effort soon will get rewarded with job loss. They are being forced to train their replacements, although in this case their replacements will be no one. Make the paper as exciting as they want to, but Randy Michaels still won't rest until he eliminates people. Lots of people.

I think Hollywood has made a few movies about this: Beleaguered souls trying desperately to please the tyrants who control their fate, if only to buy a little more time before they're eliminated. Think these movies generally have been set in WWII concentration camps.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That paper just had a decent redesign a while back, compared to what this paper used to be like.

I'll believe the latest look is really good, Lee, when I see it for myself.

Fewer pages... you better not have a g*&damn 28-page paper in a city of 700,000.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dude, are you serious?
    You just compared newsroom employees to Holocaust survivors.
    Lord, get some perspective.

All I was wanting to know was what people on the ground thought, not some navel gazing exercise in evils of ownership.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

Uh, I don't think he was talking about the survivors.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let's recap the bidding here. One of the chief culprits in the decline and fall of FM radio (through the use of ever-tightening, bleached out playlists) is now applying the same formula to print. Because God knows the marketplace has been screaming for Clear Channel: The Newspaper.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

too bad the most important guy in the newspaper chain can't write in complete sentences.

8. ned racine

ned racine Member

If my radio friends are correct,Michaels was actually against voice tracking and was actually a guy who cared about programming...Thats part of the reason he does not work for Clear Channel.He was one of the few radio execs who was more into qualtiy rather than the bottom line.....he may have changed his thinking

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He came out against it later in his career (and indeed tried to reverse the damage with XM). But he helped pioneer the classic rock format, and got the ball rolling towards boiling down the playlist to the bone. Once he decided it had gone too far, it was way too late.

The frustrating thing isn't that the guy is a dunce (he isn't.) The maddening thing is that he has about one good idea in 15, and nobody to call BS on the losers.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Dude, you should have spelled out your rules at the top then. Or maybe I'm the first in the history of SportsJournalists.com to stray from the thread maker's intent. Uh, sorry.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Be fair. He probably pays someone $250,000 a year to write that stuff for him.

12. cortez

cortez Member

The sports page now comes in tabloid form except for Sunday.
    Yes, the sections are smaller. Much smaller. Like, only listing the top 10 leaders at each professional golf tourney (majors don't count). To me, that is unacceptable.
    One of the best things about the paper used to be the weekend TV listings on Friday morning. It had the whole weekend. Now, it's one day at a time. Not enough space.
    These are just two examples. I tried to get through the entire link, but that guy was weirding me out.
    _ a subscriber

Draft saved Draft deleted