1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun Columnist: Guess I'll stop mailing it in, now!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is the most stunningly unaware column I may have ever read. The columnist admits to recycling old material, if he's putting any effort into things at all. And so while that paper gets worse and worse, this slob has a job? Simply because he's been there forever?

Some really good stuff happens with that paper. Really good stuff. But there are some major weaknesses there, too. And this guy is clearly one of them. How many reporters were laid off while he scrolled through his archived files?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-kelly-column-20120316,0,1101553.column

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So a couple years ago they thought it would be a good move to ditch a true talent like Rick Maese, but they kept this piece of garbage, probably because they were worried about an age discrimination lawsuit?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I found that whole column hilarious.

Dude was clearly told to get off his ass and quit recycling old stuff, and he responds with a message to readers that he will no longer be telling the story about how his aunt used to clean her house -- even though he knows the readers LOVED it.

I suspect he was hoping for a swell of reader support demanding that he keep mailing it in with the grand tales of how his aunt liked to dust. I don't think it's going to happen.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How does an editor let this run?

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think this was some kind of half-assed apology he was ordered to write to explain why his column was going away. Sad commentary.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My reaction to this is somewhere between PCLoadLetter's and Mizzou's and Double Down's.

It feels somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and although I haven't read his stuff in the past, my guess was that references to Aunt Cora were, perhaps, somewhat akin to T.J. Simers' running references to his Grocery Bagger son-in-law.

I've no doubt, however, that this column was meant to be the vehicle for explaining Kelly's forthcoming change in assignments. The problem with the column as a whole is that it's not clear how it should be taken. In SJ parlance, is there some blue font needed, or not?

And, like everyone else, I can't help but be disturbed by the paragraph saying Kelly lifted/repeated whole parts of past work, and I have to question how the guy could know, with authority, that Lexington Market has undergone "more transformations than one can count" if he can't remember the last time he was there.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

OMG . . . he'll actually have to work.

Poor guy.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This isn't an attempt to "work blue," as we might say around here. Trust me. I'm familiar enough with the man's work to feel confident saying that. He doesn't do jokes. He truly is this tone deaf.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Better late than never.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or "Too late."

One of the two.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Even if he was ordered to fess up and write this inane column, it still begs the question: why does he still have a job, if he's admittedly been recycling and plagiarizing himself? How is that not fireable?

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Maybe the worst part is that he admits his practice was against Baltimore Sun policy but it appears nothing was done about it. He just mentions it like it's nothing and moves on.

Draft saved Draft deleted