1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun Business Editor (And Former Sports Ed) Killed In Wreck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 5, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Baltimore Sun AME Sports Killed In Wreck

Lord, God, watch over his daughter and give his family strength.

A class act. Absolutely a great human being. This tears your guts out.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Tim was a good friend of mine. We'd just been talking about possibly taking a joint vacation next summer with our families.

Please keep his family, including his wife Beth, a former sportswriter herself, in your prayers.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My God. My condolences.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Condolences to the family, and the newspaper.

In my limited dealings with Tim, he was a really good guy, a straight shooter in every sense of the word.

Terrible tragedy.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sounds like the truck MIGHT have been at fault:

Toohey said police received the accident call at 8:54 a.m. He said Wheatley’s car was pulling out of Corbett Road to go southbound on York Road when it was broadsided by the truck.

Deborah Curtis of Glen Rock, Pa., who was two cars behind the UPS truck as it drove northbound on York Road, said she believes the traffic light was red for York Road traffic.

She said she had begun to slow down as she approached the light, looked over at her son, and when she looked up again, the UPS truck had already hit the car.

The truck then broke through two rows of painted wooden fences and came to rest in the field of Marathon Farm, a horse farm owned by Peter Angelos.

Police identified the UPS driver as Kevin Callahan, 28, of the unit block of Wellhaven Circle, in Owings Mills. He was not injured in the accident, Toohey said.

-----

There's a certain irony (I know, not the correct usage) in the connection to Angelos, who I'm sure Tim had his dealings with.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

wonder if there were cameras on the traffic lights.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For authorities, OK. But I don't want to see any stills or sequences. No way.
    RIP.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeez. I, too, am at a loss for words. RIP Tim, prayers for the daughter (and the entire family).

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm pretty positive Songbird meant only for investigative purposes.

10. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

Rest in piece, Tim. You will be missed dearly. I wish I was smart enough to tell you how much you helped me and how much you meant to me.

I figure, this is a great place for Tim stories. Here's mine. I hope others share.

When I was in college at Mizzou, I sent countless emails out to SEs looking for them to rip my stories apart, so I could learn. Tim was the first to respond, and the best. Shoot, he would call me after work and talk about my stories. That was 10 years ago. Now, we were in the same company. At APSE stuff, or any time I made trips to Baltimore, he’d take me out to dinner. We’d talk shop, life. He was a mentor of mine. He was one of the first people I turned to when I needed advice.

I just hurt. This is just awful. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

11. pskrbina

pskrbina New Member

Met Tim a few times at APSE functions and corresponded with him while doing stuff for the APSE Web site. As Nick said, he always made time for the "little guy."
    He was one of the first to pass along kind words when I joined the Tribune.
    Always a class act. Prayers to his friends and loved ones, especially his young daughter.
    Rest in peace, Mr. Wheatley.

Paul Skrbina
    High School Sports Editor
    Chicago Tribune

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

(yes, for investigative purposes to see if the ups guy ran a red).

Draft saved Draft deleted