1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore Sun Business Editor (And Former Sports Ed) Killed In Wreck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

From an online media site in the area...

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Re: Baltimore Sun AME Sports Killed In Wreck

Dear God...

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Condolences to the Wheatley family.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have friends at the Baltimore Sun. I can't even imagine.

Best to them and Tim's family.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I can't even imagine.
    RIP

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, no...what horrible news. Prayers out to the Sun staff and the Wheatley family.

7. apseloser

apseloser Member

Tim was an absolutely tremendous man and journalist who treated everyone the same, whether you were sports editor of a 10,000-circ weekly or a major metro. I never had the pleasure of working with him but did get to chat with him on several occasions. He couldn't have been kinder. Just a prince of a guy.

Just devastating news. My deepest condolences to his family and anyone who knew him well.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This from WBAL (APSE linked to this on Twitter)

Baltimore Sun Business Editor Tim Wheatley was killed in a fatal crash this morning in Baltimore County.

"A car being driven by Mr. Timothy Wheatley was pulling out of Corbet Road up in Monkton near York Road," said Bill Toohey with Baltimore County Police. "He pulled out to make a left turn onto York Road when a UPS truck going north crashed right into him on the driver's side."

Toohey says Tim Wheatley died at the scene. Police say his 9-year-old daughter was also injured in the crash. She was taken to be treated at Sinai Hospital. There is no word right now on her condition.

Toohey says there is a signal at the intersection where the fatal crash occurred and an investigation into the crash is underway.

He says the fatal crash happened just before 9:00 am this morning.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, he was business editor.

I'm simply at a loss.

Great guy, great newspaperman. I hired him in one job early in his career. He asked me to do a couple of things for him later on. He switched to the business thing when asked because that's what he did, his best, but he really wanted to stay in sports and was kind of looking around.

I just simply can't believe it. The personal losses of people I have known in terms of friends and family in 2009 have been more than all of the other 53 years combined.

I know that's how it works with age, but some of these aren't the natural order of things.

I can't believe it.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have heard only very good things about him. RIP. Wow.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I worked with Tim in Jacksonville Florida a lot of years ago... and I worked for Tim in Indianapolis until I left the Star in 2006.

A good boss, a great man and a great husband and father to Beth and to his children.

This is just horrible news.

Sarah, his daughter, is in critical condition. Please keep her and everyone else in your prayers.

RIP

Edit to add the link to the Sun's story:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bal-wheatley1005,0,2467753.story

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

I met Tim at the APSE convention in Orlando 4 years ago, very nice guy, did a great job.
    My condolences to his family and the Sun, Indy too.
    Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted