1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ballesteros Has A Brain Tumor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 12, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/7655919.stm

Shocking news, at least to me. Seve and Faldo were the big reasons I got into golf as a kid.

He collapsed last Monday, and was in intensive care until Friday. I really hope this can be treated and dealt with.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

oof... that's stunning... hope treatment works.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Column with a great anecdote in the lede.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?columnist=sirak_ron&id=3639946

I know Seve by name only, as I didn't really follow golf in his heyday, but my dad always spoke highly of him. I wouldn't wish this battle on anyone and will keep my fingers crossed the biopsy comes back with good news.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Good for the docs for finding the underlying cause of a new onset seizure in an older person. Often tumors and bleeding in the brain present with seizure. Some seizures aren't grand mal, the type where the whole body shakes, the back arches and tongues get bitten. Some are more subtle with staring spells, confusion or brief shaking of one extremity.

With the brain imaging showing tumor, Mr. Ballesteros is undergoing a biopsy to see what type of tumor is involved. The first question wil be whether it originates from brain cells or whether it metastasized from a tumor elsewhere in the body. Here's hoping it's a benign tumor.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That is a great column. I'm hopeful Sirak's prediction comes true. I remember the birdie out of the Lytham parking lot. One of the most incredible shots ever played.

6. KP

KP Active Member

The problem was that Joe Hack thought he could make shots that only Seve could make.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Awful news to hear about a guy who, as I remember, was always about class.
    That was a competitive tour, too, Hack. Back in the 70s and 80s
    Good luck to Seve.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Fuck. I love me some Seve -- even the spring 1986 version with the double Nike logoed visor rinsing one at 15 on Sunday at Augusta.

Get well soon, Mr. Ballesteros.

rb

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That was a terrific column. Great, great read.

Good luck, Seve.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wishing Seve all the best. One of the best golfers Period.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man wow, what horrible news. Hope its benign.

With all candor, I despised Seve as a kid, I was a Watson fan and hated to see my man go down to this cocky Spaniard from across the pond. Naturally, as I have aged, I have come to appreciate the greatness of Seve. I loved reading Sirak's article. 92 yd drive, 3 wood, 3 wood, 2 putts for par. That's Seve in a nutshell. Wish I could muster that same panache when I'm in trouble.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've heard enough knowledgeable people say his 3-wood from a fairway bunker on the 18th hole of a Ryder Cup match in 1983 was the greatest shot the game has ever seen; I don't know about that because there's some pretty good competition. But I wish more players had his imagination and creativity.

If you're a writer, you dream of being able to cover people like this.

Best wishes, Seve.

Draft saved Draft deleted