1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ball State professor says Memphis's strip clubs are bad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=1753204&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Does anyone see the irony in a professor from Ball State who specializes in strip clubs?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The report he authored is hilarious.

In Memphis, it seems there is sex in the champagne room.

3. JayFarrar

http://media.myfoxmemphis.com/download/Report_MemphisShelby_Final.pdf

Here's a copy of the professor's report, 93 pages of unintentional hilarity like...
    Food. Although some clubs in other cities use buffet lunches and other food to attract part of their clientele, we found little of that in Memphis. We did have good sandwiches at the Pony but learned that the kitchen is a contract operation – we met the cook when we wanted to modify our sandwich order.

And this on Detroit...
    What we saw at the adult cabarets in Memphis involved far more physical contact between dancers, far more physical contact between dancers and customers, much more intimate sexual contact between performers and other persons, and more crass presentation of sex (as opposed to erotic dancing) than we have seen at any group of clubs in any other city – and that includes our work in Detroit. We have certainly seen selected examples of such activities in some other clubs in some other cities, but what is the exception in other cities appears to be almost the norm in Memphis.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Kind of makes me want to go to Memphis to engage in some . . . you know, academic research.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I thought this report was at least have some directory information.

6. JayFarrar

It does have a directory.
    Strip clubs, adult theaters, and everything else.
    I have been to Platinum in Memphis and it makes Sodom and Gommarah look tame.
    And I also have a friend from Memphis and when he was Rhodes, he would go eat the lunch buffet at one of the clubs nearly every day. It was like 99 cents for all you can eat. The catch was the cover, but you could get a membership card that waived the cover and the joint was famous tht Grisham included it in one of his young Memphis lawyer in trouble books.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

SportsJournalists.com road trip? ;D

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Where's Whitlock on this one?

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Count me in!

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

On his way to Memphis.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

See what a Ball State education can do for YOU!

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Might want to check this thread before committing.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/926234/

Draft saved Draft deleted