1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Ball Four" on Broadway?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 5, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I loved the book. A friend and I used to quote lines from the book constantly. It revived my interest in baseball, which was sagging under all the sugar-coated fluff that was around in those days.

I did a story on the TV series before it debuted in '76. Called Bouton in the newsroom of WCBS-TV, where he was working at the time, and he was great -- funny, quotable, very cooperative.

"Home Games," written by his ex and Mike Marshall's ex, kind of filled in some of the blanks from "Ball Four." My perspective on "BF" changed a little after I started covering baseball. I could see how teammates would feel betrayed, not knowing they were on the record when no media people were around, but I still like the book and appreciate the inside look, which was rare in that time.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I don't doubt what you're saying. And I wouldn't say he was uncooperative with me, or anything. Part of the problem might have been that by the time I did the story, the rest of the team was getting pretty tired of the focus being on Bouton wherever they went.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Let's take two and go pound the Budweiser.

Draft saved Draft deleted