1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Ball Four" on Broadway?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 5, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From the May 4 NY Post:

<i>"Ex-Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton, who authored the controversial book that infuriated the club, is attempting to bring "Ball Four" to Broadway as a musical.

"It's as timely as it was back in 1970," Bouton says. "It's got sex, drugs and rock and roll." Jim and agent Burton Rocks met with Tony Award winning-producer Irv Welzer (who produced "Annie Get Your Gun" starring Bernadette Peters), this past week to discuss bringing "Ball Four" to Broadway, as Welzer is a huge baseball fan and a fan of Bouton's"</i>

I'll pay to see it. I can just see the chorus line singing and dancing the signature number "Shitfuck/Fuckshit" as the Joe Schultz character comes out to make a pitching change.

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I seriously picked up my copy of Ball Four today to read for the nth time.

Well, I'd pay to see it. It'd be awful, but I'd pay to see it.

3. Shouldn't the old TV show be available on DVD by now?

The only thing I remember about the show (besides the fact it didn't last long) was the fact that Ben Davidson played the catcher.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And you could call it 'Damn Yankees!'

[​IMG]

5. Watermelons love the sun and Yankee fans love to be assfucked. - Old Russian Proverb

6. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So you're telling me Bouton sold his soul for that season? I think he got hosed, in that case...

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I still think one of the greatest speeches I ever witnessed live was Jim talking at Mass. College of Liberal Arts, formerly North Adams State.

It was part of Freshman Orientation, so parents were there with the students. He starts talking about Pete Rose giving him shit from the top step of the dugout while he's on the mound. Jim serves up a homer and while the batter is circling the bases, Rose yells out: "Fuck you Shakespeare!"

The look on the parents faces was priceless.

8. Smasher_Sloan

<i>"'Cause we're beaver shooting
    While you're root-root-rooting...."</i>

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Who are they gonna cast to play the girl who looks like Joe Torre with tits????

10. Smasher_Sloan

Sharon Pannozzo.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I did that in March. It gets re-read every spring training.

Draft saved Draft deleted