1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balk three times ... and bye bye

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jul 4, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, technically speaking, being in the minors, they are JVs.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's not just minor league baseball -- it's Single A. Covered many games in that league back in the day. It's just a step up from the Big West.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Careful now. There are some people on here who think that Class A beat will land you an MLB gig, and try to mimic MLB beat coverage.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plus birdsong will grind you into dust with his Fullerton class ring. :)

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Birdscribe. Damnit. Never post after waking up from passing out on the couch.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've got a Fullerton class ring too, so I can knock away.

And I think you mean Birdscribe.

Too many nights spent in Adelanto ... Bakersfield ... Visalia ... San Berdoo ... Stockton ... Modesto ...

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Balk a day Bob Davidson just read this and got wood.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder. If you go to your mouth on the mound, the umpire calls an automatic ball. When an intentional walk is called for, why doesn't the pitcher just go to his mouth four times to avoid the chance of throwing one to the screen?

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I realize there was the possibility that at least one of those position players also pitched while in high school or even college, but how bad were the opposing players if they had to go two more innings without stringing together some hits against guys who don't normally pitch?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've always looked at that the other way.

Not only were most of these guys high school pitching stars, they also spend about two hours on the field each day before the game, a lot of that time throwing the ball around. They're sort of game-ready.

I'm not going to say I'm stunned when one of these position-player pitchers get knocked around ... but I'm not totally surprised when they show some sort of knack for it, either.

Chris Davis was hitting 90 when he came on in relief for the Orioles earlier this year.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Because, at some point, the player is making a travesty of the rule and the umpire could eject the offender for that.

Balks are the bane of my existence as an umpire. In fact, I've taken a self--imposed break after one league telling me to enforce balks on a 10 and under game (which is crazy enough) and then when I do, they went apeshit because I didn't give the kid TWO warnings. Fuck, the ball slipped from his hand in the middle of his delivery and you want me to WARN the kid? Jesus, we can't just make up rules so the kids feel better about themselves.

And that goes along with this story because these fucking people take it all too seriously. I try to maintain some amount of decorum for the rules but try to remember what age group I'm doing. My college strike zone is much tighter than my LL one, for obvious reasons. But we're not doing the Braves-Cubs game tonight. So how about we all relax and remember why we're on the diamond in the first place?

Draft saved Draft deleted