1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bald or Gray?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had really, really thick hair for my entire life, but I had a five-head and a bald spot by the time I was 30.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have such thick hair, I once attended a hair stylists competition as a hair model for my stylist friend. Which is a good thing, because I've dyed the grey out since I was 23!

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Considering I'm 31 and started losing my hair in high school, I'd much much much rather be grey ... at least you have SOMETHING to work with.

As for heredity and hair loss, is dad's hair even a factor?

Based on everything I've heard/read, your mother's father is a better way to determine the odds of a bald future. At least this is true in my case, as my grandfather lost it at a young age and my dad (at 62) has more hair now than I did at 20.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Balding and graying. It's a palace coup ... everyone's either evacuating or switching sides.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Was an usher in a wedding when I was 36, the groom, best man and other usher about the same age. I delighted in pointing out that while I had the grayest hair in the group, I had the most.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I got my first noticeable gray hairs in high school and was pretty much totally gray by 40. Never bothered me at all.

I love women who go gray, too, fwiw.

7. Can't wait for the day I go bald and I'm 28. I've had a buzzcut since seventh grade and I get my hair cut every other week because I hate when it's long. Unfortunately I will likely never go bald because my moms dad is 75 with a full head of gray hair. I shaved my head bald one summer and liked the way it looked, but my hair is so thick and grows so fast that it was a pain in the ass to keep shaved.

8. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

This isn't directed at you but people always respond to my saying I have my father's hair with the comment that it can't be because mother's side controls it. It normally sends me into a rant on how the mother's side is the more dominant side but it doesn't mean it is always the mother's side. All it means is that on a majority of people get their baldness, thickness and all that from their mother's side. My brother has hair much more like the males on my mother's side. As I said before, I have my father's hair right down to the cowlicks. Sometimes that happens. Just not as often.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Watch out for graft vs. host disease.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know, speaking from the other side of the age divide, this is not necessarily an either-or question.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had hair exactly like my father... for 27 years. Then it started to fall out just like everybody on my mom's side told me it would.

He has more hair than I do and he's 67.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not everyone has the right head shape to go bald.

Draft saved Draft deleted