1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balco leak uncovered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Dec 21, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes, it's good if people who skirt the law for personal profit face no consequences. We will all be in a better world.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The leak of who leaked the leak.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry. What law did the "skirt"? And if they broke the law, why wasn't there a jury trial with evidence, and a conviction handed down by a jury of their peers?

They were found in contempt of court. They weren't convicted of a crime.

And yeah, it actually is a much better world, when there are people who have principles and are willing to face persecution to stay true to those principles.

I'm not surprised that's something you don't get.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just as I'm not surprised that you don't get what the problem is with this.

But hey, just keep on drinking the Kool-Aid.

5. DyePack, this is not meant to be antogonistic, but I don't get your position. What is a reporter supposed to do when given this information, just sit on it and hope somebody else doesn't get it?
    I'm not a wily veteran of the biz, so I'm just looking for another view about what the Chron guys should have done.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Breaking it like news would be a start.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the book compiled and an extension of what they reported on a daily basis in the Chronicle? How did they not break the news?

They were reporting this stuff long before the book came out.

Of course, this could've been avoided with a journalistic shield law that every state should have.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ah, yes, the second part of the fallacy.

We NEED shield laws -- for an unregulated industry. Brilliant.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we do need a shield law. You know, so reporters can do their job without fear of going to jail. Sort of that whole "free press" thing.

The Chronicle reporters did an outstanding job of breaking this story... President Bush said he wanted baseball cleaned up. This story at least started the ball rolling.

Why should they have to serve time for protecting a source? That's a dangerous road to go down.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That "unregulated" industry is vital to the workings of a democracy. You might want to check out the Federalist Papers.

"Regulating" the press gives you Pravda, not a FREE press. I can't imagine why anyone who has benefited from liberty and democracy would call for regulating one of the basic rights that is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. But to each his own. Who would you appoint the czar of what journalists may disseminate and what they may not? And do we bother repealing the first amendment or just pretend it never happened?

We don't NEED shield laws. We should have them, though. As a free and open society, we benefit from whistle-blowers feeling safe in revealing misconduct without fear that a reporter is going to rat them out when a government appointee twists the reporter's arm.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Between this and the Reggie Busch story, can yahoo.com now be considered a serious sports news source?

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yes. and i wonder how far they'll go. add a few more national reporters? add reporters in every major city?

and i've also been wondering when they'll start beefing up their news and business departments. they were smart to start with sports though.

Draft saved Draft deleted