1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BALCO Founder Victor Conte on NPR radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jun 21, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn you are taking this personally. I'm not an expert. Just speculating. You know "twists and turns to come" and "stay tuned for incriminating details" and stuff like that.

Look, I had no clue that Victor Conte drives a Bentley. You have come on here multiple times pointing it out, though. I just figured, with his drug-dealing business shut down with his arrest and felony conviction, there's no way he's affording that car by selling overpriced zinc pills. So I did a little deduction and took a guess that the athlete who got caught up in his web who he hasn't ratted out (coincidentally, the athlete who earns a ton of money and has a ton to lose if Conte rats him out) might be paying for that Bentley. That doesn't seem like a possibility to you? You have raised about 1,000 half-baked, unsubstantiated possibilities regarding the Chronicle reporters and the Federal investigators. I thought you, of all people, would embrace what seems like a credible explanation for Conte's silence (not to mention the shiny car he's driving).

2. creamora

creamora Member

What I do understand is that the world of sports journalism is a good ol' boys club. If Fainaru-Wada ends up with a black eye, then
    it will be considered to be a bad thing for the entire profession. I guess Fainaru-Wada is now considered a public figure, right?
    How about Novitzky? How about Fainaru-Wada's good buddy Ellerman? Are they all considered to be open season here? I just want to be clear about the rules.

3. The Big Ragu

I'm confused. You didn't ask the rules before using nearly 300 posts to trash them over and over again with unsubstantiated BS. Why are you suddenly so concerned now?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And why so fucking defensive - it ain't like Ragu is talking about you?

Yes, F-W and others involved have become public figures. If you have opinions about them, feel free to share. Others will judge the worth of that opinion by the opinion they have formed of you.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You are talking about a guy who claimed Lyle Alzado (sp) had AIDS on an earlier thread.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If anything, the world of sports journalism is unforgiving and brutal to its own kind. Read some of the threads here that aren't about BALCO. There are no free passes.

In fact, nothing could illustrate this more than the complete lack of support for the Chron writers after the Ellerman plea. One day everyone's wearing tshirts and marching and signing petitions...and poof. Deafening silence.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm still curious as to where Creamora is getting all of this information he or she claims to have. I'm not saying I do or don't believe him/her ... just wondering.

8. creamora

creamora Member

Deafening silence? When has Ragu ever not jumped in immediately to support his two heros from the Chronicle?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe he, you know, went to bed, or something?

Considering his last post mocked you something fierce, I wouldn't waste your time thinking you got one up on him.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

21 is (mostly) right and Creamora, you're taking what Ragu says way too seriously. His thinking isn't representative of anything but what he reads in books or the Web. He has no first-hand knowledge of anything -- he's just playing message-board sleuth. Maybe just use your "ignore" button?

Moddy, you're a little late on these threads. Way over on the other extreme is Creamora, who despite some obvious biases genuinely knows about this subject matter.

11. The Big Ragu

Cranberry, that was an interesting post. How many people have "first-hand knowledge" about whether Barry Bonds used PEDs and about whether he has continually lied about it, including under oath before a grand jury? How many people have "first-hand knowledge" about whatever illegal activities the principles involved in BALCO were up to?

I'd guess a handful of people have "first-hand knowledge." You're right. I'm not one of them. I've never claimed to be one. You haven't seen any slippery, "I know stuff that you don't know, but I am not going to substantiate it, but stay tuned for more 'twists and turns' " posts from me that are never backed up with anything but heaps of speculative BS. Why do you find those posts as compelling as you seem to do? I'd love to hear why...

In fact, when I just speculated about Barry Bonds paying off Victor Conte for his silence (maybe it's slanderous BS, but it is way more credible than some of the BS I have read on here about a bunch of investigative reporters who have never been shown to do anything dishonest, unlike Victor Conte!), unlike Creamora who has thrown every appliance he owns at everyone involved with shutting down BALCO (why?!?!?!), I actually said it was just speculation on my part. Why attack me--I have been pretty up front about what I know and what I don't know?

Do you have "first-hand knowledge" that the Chronicle reporters were part of a criminal conspiracy, the way I seem to remember you claiming after the Ellerman story broke? Or did you form your thinking based on evidence you have read (gasp--you form your ideas by reading!)? Or is the "first-hand knowledge" stuff supposed to be another one of your, "Hey, I am a baseball insider. No really, I know the code of the clubhouse because I sleep in the trainer's room!" posts.

Why not suggest that I ignore creamora (I have no reason to--I don't ignore people just because I disagree with them; but I am just interested in why you choose to weigh in the way you did) because I don't like his 280 speculative and unsubstantiated posts about fantastical wrong doing by a couple of reporters and the Federal investigators (he's never posted about anything else)--who AREN'T the ones who were dealing and using steroids illegally and in blatant disregard for the rules of their sports?

I just found that post interesting. What are creamora's "obvious biases" as you see them?

12. Wow.
    Ironclad innuendo.

Draft saved Draft deleted