1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BALCO Founder Victor Conte on NPR radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jun 21, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

Check out Novitzky's cool sun glasses in this video. Does he look like
    an IRS agent or Ellerman's drinking buddy?

Time Is Running Out: Will Bonds Be Indicted?

http://www.ktvu.com/video/13555732/index.html?source=

2. creamora

creamora Member

It took National Geographics to get it right regarding the history of drugs in sports. Maybe they borrowed Novitzky's sun glasses before investigating
    the subject.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/06/070622-barry-bonds.html

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not that concerned about whether Victor Conte has told the truth about Marion Jones and Barry Bonds. I want to know what Vince Reed thinks.

4. creamora

creamora Member

Vince Reed recently said that this article below is talking about sportsjournalists.com. Vince seems to know his stuff.

The shark-infested waters of "sports" writers...

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/opinion/x212047329

5. The Big Ragu

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=2915341

Well, I guess we know for sure now that it isn't Marion Jones paying for Victor Conte's shiny car. No wonder he selectively threw her under the Bentley, while protecting Barry Bonds. Jones didn't have the money to buy him off!

Given how stingy Bonds gets at tax time, and how he's pinched pennies with his ex-wife and kids and with Kimberly Bell, you have to figure Conte has some good shit hanging over his head to get the cheapskate to buy his silence. Although this is a bit difference, isn't it? Even the meanest modern-day Scrooge is going to pay hush money to avoid being exposed as a fraud and being sent to jail. I still wish I was a fly on the wall each time Bonds has to wipe the cobwebs off his checkbook to pay off Conte (and Greg Anderson?). Or does he pay him in small unmarked bills, the way he probably did when he paid for his steroids?

Of course I don't know for sure that it's a cash-for-silence deal, but it would seem in character for Conte, wouldn't it?

6. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

It's simply amazing how you routinely make personal attacks on people and have no clue what you are talking about. Do you know any of these people you have attacked? How about any personal experience and/or interactions with any of them? Is your only frame of reference involving these people the Game of Shadows? Are you a skinny and weak little punk moron simply because I say so on a message board? What's with the personal attacks? Does it make you feel like you are a big man around town?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do you have any experience with them? Just asking. Can you refute what Ragu says or are you speaking on principle? Just asking. I have no dog in this hunt and couldn't give two shits about any of the people involved (though I will tell you I do have experience with Ragu and would go to war with the guy).

8. creamora

creamora Member

Are you saying that personal attacks are OK here on this board? That would make it real fun. Let me know. Maybe I misunderstood the "real rules."

9. Moderator1

Well, he wasn't attacking another member. I think he's allowed to express whatever opinion he wants about public figures. It's not terribly uncommon.
    If he attacked you, it's one thing. He did not. You just got awfully defensive. I'm curious if you had the personal knowledge of these folks? That's all I was asking.

10. The Big Ragu

I dunno, cream. I believe my post read about as speculatively as your posts about Mark Fainuru-Wada and Lance Williams (and Jeff Novitsky, for that matter, who is under attack from you, when the most damning thing he's done was sending a bunch of drug dealers to prison). The only difference is that when I take a few leaps (and I said I don't know for sure if what I was suggesting is true) to suggest that Victor Conte might be being paid off by Barry Bonds to stay silent (unlike Marion Jones, who he ratted out, and who just happens to be broke), I'm talking about an admitted felon with a nauseating history of self-promotion and chicanary who the public doesn't trust very much.

Those two reporters, to the contrary, have impeccable credentials and have proven themselves to be men of integrity to most people not named creamora.

As for me being a skinny and weak little punk moron, I can be anything you like on a message board... the same way you can be anything you like on a message board.

11. creamora

creamora Member

Let's just say I know enough to realize that Ragu has no clue what he is talking about regarding many aspects of the BALCO story and those involved. He reads a book and thinks he's a expert on the subject.

12. Moderator1

OK. Your opinion. No more valid, no more right or wrong than his. His opinion, no more right or wrong or valid than yours.

Personal attacks on members are one thing.
    Personal attacks on public figures are quite another. Happens a lot around here - politicians, athletes, actors, musicians, you name it.

Draft saved Draft deleted