1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bakersfield Californian sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 3, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A lot of territory between those cities.

As nafselon mentioned, interesting covers, but the paper's devotion to local sports is amazing, in print and online. Menu includes heavy load or preps, a D1 mid-major in CSU Bakerfield, a juco and an AHL team.

2. HanSenSE

And the inevitable layoffs have started. Do know they have kept on preps writer Trevor Horn.

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

He's there.

4. HanSenSE

Thank goodness.

bpoindexter likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

So, where is the paper going to be printed now? I hadn't seen that mentioned.

7. HanSenSE

8. HanSenSE

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is about as dumb a statement as you've ever made. Corporate ownership ruined newspapers. Family ownership is what made them successful. As soon as big media took over, the industry turned south. Oh, and there was this thing that came along called the internet that might have contributed to their demise too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Having a de facto monopoly on local advertising is what made them successful.

wicked and SFIND like this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What? Who sold the newspapers to corporate? The families. The families gave up and sold so they could salvage a few million dollars.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yeah, they sold them. They built them. They didn't tear them down. The new owners tore them down. I worked for a family that owned a newspaper who did this. And they had nothing to do with what happened to the newspaper after they sold ownership.

If I sell you a new car and you drive the fuck out of it and ruin it, is it my fault it's ruined because I sold it to you? I should have kept it? That's makes about as much fucking sense as your argument makes.

Draft saved Draft deleted